Why does it cause problems to be missing an X chromosome

• Thread starter RabbitWho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary: It used to be thought that XYY karyotype males were more prone to agression, but recent research does not support this.
RabbitWho
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Syndrome
As in being X0 rather than XX or XY

I thought that the X you get from your mother and the X you get from your father all coded for the same things. I wouldn't have imagined anything would happen rather than all of the recessive genes on the X chromosome getting expressed, but recessive genes aren't necessarily harmful ones and that can happen if they're not matched on the Y or if the other X chromosome has the same recessive trait anyway...

It must be the case recessive alleles have work to do, even if their traits are unexpressed and there is another allele there?

Biology news on Phys.org
The extra X is usually "inactive", but still has an effect - which you can see when there is an additional one as in (47,XXY) and (47,XXX) karyotypes.

I wouldn't have thought that the X chromosomes from each parent normally code for exactly the same things though. I'll leave it alone for now - for someone closer to the subject.

Since excess X has an effect, it seems only reasonable to expect that an absence would also.
The mechanism is probably similar to how the inactive X's have an effect.

Although one X-chromosome is usually silenced in females, many genes (perhaps even up to a quarter of the genes on the x-chromosome) escape inactivation and are still expressed despite X-chromosome inactivation. Therefore, X0 is not equivalent to one active X-chromosome and one silenced X-chromosome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-inactivation#Expressed_genes_on_the_inactive_X_chromosome

Ygggdrasil said:
Although one X-chromosome is usually silenced in females, many genes (perhaps even up to a quarter of the genes on the x-chromosome) escape inactivation and are still expressed despite X-chromosome inactivation. Therefore, X0 is not equivalent to one active X-chromosome and one silenced X-chromosome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-inactivation#Expressed_genes_on_the_inactive_X_chromosome

Hmmm...got me thinking-what if one X chromosome carries a hemophilia trait and the other X chromosome is normal...is it possible that the healthy chromosome gets silenced? Sorry if this is a stupid questions; never been good at Biology...

Which of the two x-chromosomes gets silenced is essentially random and the same x-chromosome is not silenced in all cells. For hemophilia, which is most commonly caused by the inability of the liver to produce Factor VIII (a clotting factor), to occur in a female heterozygous for the mutation, all of the cells in the liver would have to silence exactly the same x-chromosome, a very unlikely occurrence (essentially, the case of getting all heads when you toss a handful of coins).

Thanks for the reply.:)

Really interesting answers, thank you.

Have I got it right:

Some traits need two alleles to work properly, one from the mother's x and one from the father's x or y.. ? We assume that any of the traits that don't have an equivalent allele on the Y chromosome don't need a partner to work properly. Or am I way out?

Simon Bridge said:
Since excess X has an effect, it seems only reasonable to expect that an absence would also.
The mechanism is probably similar to how the inactive X's have an effect.

But having an extra y has no effect. You could say that someone X0 is missing a Y. So I think that logic doesn't work. Though it is very cogent.

RabbitWho said:
But having an extra y has no effect. You could say that someone X0 is missing a Y. So I think that logic doesn't work. Though it is very cogent.
As far as I know, the Y suppresses several genes on X and replaces their function with its own genes. Therefore, X0 misses an X or Y, but one of them should be there.

Recessive disorders are a big problem in that case.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
What gives you that idea?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYY_syndrome

Reading the page you linked me to gave me that idea:

Some medical geneticists question whether the term "syndrome" is appropriate for this condition because its clinical phenotype is normal and the vast majority (an estimated 97% in Britain) of 47,XYY males do not know their karyotype.

Yah - is "phenotype normal" the same as "no effect"?
The same page lists the effects - mostly increased testosterone and high growth, increased chance of learning difficulties and delayed development in speech and language skills.

Not as extreme as the others admittedly but not "no effect".

Note: it used to be thought that XYY karyotype males were more prone to agression ... wikipedia says "no", but the situation is just more complicated than that.
See:
http://www.scienceclarified.com/dis...one-to-aggressive-behavior-than-XY-males.html
http://www.priory.com/psychiatry/XYY_agression.htm
... i.e. "sex is complicated and fraught with misunderstanding", go figure.

Related to Why does it cause problems to be missing an X chromosome

1. Why is it necessary to have two X chromosomes?

Having two X chromosomes is necessary because it ensures that an individual receives a complete set of genetic instructions. The X chromosome contains important genes that are responsible for various functions in the body, such as growth, development, and reproduction. If one X chromosome is missing, it can lead to a lack of these essential genes, causing various problems.

2. What are the consequences of being missing an X chromosome?

The consequences of being missing an X chromosome, also known as Turner syndrome, can vary depending on the severity of the condition. Some common consequences include short stature, delayed puberty, infertility, heart and kidney abnormalities, and learning disabilities. These difficulties can affect physical, emotional, and social development.

3. Can missing an X chromosome be inherited?

Missing an X chromosome is not typically inherited. It is usually caused by a random error during cell division in the early stages of development. However, in rare cases, it can be inherited if one of the parents carries a genetic mutation that causes the loss of an X chromosome.

4. How is missing an X chromosome diagnosed?

Missing an X chromosome can be diagnosed through genetic testing, which involves analyzing a person's chromosomes. This can be done through a blood test or a sample of cells from the inside of the cheek. Symptoms and physical characteristics can also aid in the diagnosis of Turner syndrome.

5. Is there a treatment for missing an X chromosome?

There is currently no cure for missing an X chromosome. However, treatment options are available to manage the symptoms and complications associated with Turner syndrome. These may include growth hormone therapy, hormone replacement therapy, and psychological support. Early intervention and ongoing medical care can help individuals with Turner syndrome lead healthy and fulfilling lives.