Why Does Identical h2 and h2' Not Indicate Best COP in Refrigeration Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over the COP (Coefficient of Performance) of a refrigerator and the comparison between actual cycle and ideal cycle. The expert clarifies that the COP is the ratio of heat removed to work input and explains the difference between the actual and ideal cycles. The setup with identical h2 and h2' values may not have the highest COP and it is important to use the correct values when calculating it.
skaboy607
Hi,

I think I have confused myself over the COP of a refrigerator. I have refrigeration system and a certain set of values which enable me to plot a P-s diagram. The refrigerant is R-12. I also have another set of 4 results for varying evaporator pressures, and I have drawn all these cycles on thte P-s diagram. I have calculated the corresponding enthalpy values for all the sets of data and also h2' (based on ideal cycle) for each set. My question is...for one set of data, the h2 and h2' are almost identical which to me, made me think that this was the setup that maximised the net work output. however when calculating COP based on ideal cycle for all sets of data-this setup provide with the lowest value, the one with the worst performance?

I don't understand? Have I got my wires crossed?

Thanks

Will

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi Will,

First of all, it's great that you are investigating the performance of your refrigeration system and trying to understand the COP (Coefficient of Performance). It can be a bit confusing at first, but let me try to clarify things for you.

The COP of a refrigerator is defined as the ratio of the heat removed from the refrigerated space (Qc) to the work input (W) required to remove that heat. In mathematical terms, it is expressed as COP = Qc/W.

In your case, the h2 and h2' values being almost identical for one set of data does not necessarily mean that it maximizes the net work output. It only means that the actual cycle and the ideal cycle are very similar for that particular set of data. The ideal cycle is a theoretical cycle that assumes no losses and perfect efficiency, so it is not always achievable in real-world systems.

When calculating the COP based on the ideal cycle, it is important to use the same values for Qc and W as you did for the actual cycle. If you are using different values, then it is expected that the COP will be different. It is also important to note that the COP based on the ideal cycle is a theoretical value and may not reflect the actual performance of your system.

In conclusion, it is possible that the setup with the h2 and h2' values being almost identical may not have the highest COP. It is important to consider all the factors and use the correct values when calculating the COP. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your research!

Related to Why Does Identical h2 and h2' Not Indicate Best COP in Refrigeration Systems?

What is the Coefficient of Performance (COP)?

The Coefficient of Performance (COP) is a ratio that measures the efficiency of a heating or cooling system. It is calculated by dividing the desired output (heat or cooling) by the required input (electricity or fuel).

How is COP related to energy efficiency?

COP is directly related to energy efficiency as it indicates how much useful energy is produced by a system compared to the amount of energy required to run it. A higher COP means a more efficient system, as it produces more output with less input.

What is a good COP for a heating or cooling system?

A good COP for a heating or cooling system varies depending on the type of system and the climate it is operating in. Generally, a COP of 3 or higher is considered efficient for a heating system, while a COP of 5 or higher is considered efficient for a cooling system.

What factors can affect the COP of a system?

The COP of a system can be affected by various factors such as the type of system, its design and age, the operating conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.), and the quality of maintenance and installation. Other factors include the type and quality of energy source used, and the insulation and size of the space being heated or cooled.

How is COP different from Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) and Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER)?

COP, EER, and SEER are all measures of efficiency, but they are used for different types of systems. COP is primarily used for heat pumps, while EER is used for cooling systems and SEER is used for central air conditioning systems. Additionally, COP and EER are measured at a specific outdoor temperature, while SEER takes into account the varying temperatures throughout a year.