Why Does Decreasing Arteriolar Resistance Lead to Oedema?

• Thread starter briton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physiology
In summary, decreasing arteriolar resistance through relaxation of smooth muscle results in an increased flow rate of blood to the capillaries. This leads to an increase in capillary hydrostatic pressure, causing increased filtration and potential oedema. The key concept is that filtration and absorption occur at the capillary level, not in the arterioles. This is due to the inverse relationship between resistance and flow rate, as explained by the Poiselle's Laminar Flow equation.
briton
can someone help me understand why decreasing arteriolar resistance will (increase filtration and..) result in oedema?
I thought that decreasing resistance decreases pressure so filtration decreases

but, all I've got in my notes is that constricting arterioles increases the resistance and downstream blood (capillaries) loose pressure and in a book it says high precapillary resistance shields the capillary from arterial pressure. I don't understand how this is..

Biology news on Phys.org
briton said:
can someone help me understand why decreasing arteriolar resistance will (increase filtration and..) result in oedema?
I thought that decreasing resistance decreases pressure so filtration decreases

Arteriolar have smooth muscle that allow them to contract and alter the resistance of blood flow as resistance is inversely proportional to the 4th power radius (Poiselle's Laminar Flow eqn.) When arteriolar's decrease their resistance via relaxation of surrounding smooth muscle, the capillaries will receive blood with an increase flow rate. The key idea here is that filtration and absorbtion occurs in the capillaries and not in the arteriolar blood vessels. Applying the Pressure = flow x resistance equation here shows that the increase flow rate leads to an increased capillary hydrostatic pressure and leads to increased filtration. Hope that helps, I curtailed the explanation on account that you are a current mini expert in the making.

Here is a related thread that may provide additional insight.

Related to Why Does Decreasing Arteriolar Resistance Lead to Oedema?

What is the cardiovascular system?

The cardiovascular system is a network of organs and blood vessels that work together to circulate blood, oxygen, and nutrients throughout the body. It is responsible for delivering oxygen to tissues, removing waste products, and maintaining homeostasis.

How does the heart function in the cardiovascular system?

The heart is a muscular organ that pumps blood throughout the body. It receives oxygenated blood from the lungs and pumps it to the rest of the body. It also receives deoxygenated blood from the body and pumps it to the lungs to be replenished with oxygen.

What factors can affect cardiovascular health?

There are several factors that can affect cardiovascular health, including genetics, lifestyle choices (such as diet and exercise), and underlying medical conditions. Other risk factors include smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obesity.

What are the main components of the cardiovascular system?

The main components of the cardiovascular system include the heart, blood vessels (arteries, veins, and capillaries), and blood. The heart pumps blood through the blood vessels, which transport oxygen, nutrients, and hormones to cells throughout the body.

How does the cardiovascular system regulate blood pressure?

The cardiovascular system regulates blood pressure through mechanisms such as vasoconstriction and vasodilation, which control the diameter of blood vessels. Additionally, hormones and nerves can also affect blood pressure by regulating heart rate and the amount of blood pumped by the heart.