Why Does Current Rise Exponentially in a Diode After Reaching +0.6V?

In summary, the after voltage of a power diode rises exponentially and not just straight up. It is mainly due to the internal resistance of the diode, but the curve leading up to the voltage of interest is caused by the electron behavior in the semiconductor material.
earlofwessex
so I've seen this graph all over the internet, but nowhere seems to explain why the current after +0.6v rises exponentially and not just straight up. is it mainly due to the internal resistance of the diode or is there significant inductance/capacitance in there as well. what's the dominating effect(s)?

I'm guessing at that voltages significantly higher than Vf its just the internal resistance (r=1/gradient), but the curve leading up to Vf, what's causing it?

http://www.yegopto.co.uk/media_yegOpto/image/400%20x%20400%20images/volt_current%20graph.jpg

also, what's a typical internal resistance for a power diode?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No, it is a microscopic effect. It has to do with the shape of the bands (the density of states) in the semiconductor; you can't really think of it in terms of "macroscopic" variables like capacitance etc.
It is not too difficult to derive the correct expression using a band model and you should be able to find that derivation in just about any book on semiconductor physics.

The fact that is rises exponentially is essentially just a consequence of the electrons obeying Fermi-Dirac statistics.

No the exponential relationship is not due to series resistance. It's true that bulk resistivity in the neutral regions can have a significant effect in some diodes at high current levels (making the I/V characteristic less steep than predicted by the exponential relationship) but no the exponential relation is not due to resistance. It's a lot more complicated than that. Start with this for example : http://books.google.com.au/books?id...resnum=2&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

The 0.6 volts is called the built-in potential and depends on the type of semiconductor material in the diode.
The current–voltage curve is exponential. In a normal silicon diode at rated currents, the arbitrary “cut-in” voltage is defined as 0.6 to 0.7 volts. The value is different for other diode types — Schottky diodes can be rated as low as 0.2 V and red or blue light-emitting diodes (LEDs) can have values of 1.4 V and 4.0 V respectively.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode#Semiconductor_diodes"
And as f95toli implies, you would need to study the junction theory to see why the curve is exponential.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys.

not so simple question after all then, it's going to take me a long while to understand all that.

Look at this URL
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/1.html
and scroll down to the diode equation. kT at room temperature is about 26 millivolts.
For some reason, I cannot open Wiki URL in post #4.
Bob S

Related to Why Does Current Rise Exponentially in a Diode After Reaching +0.6V?

1. What is a diode?

A diode is an electronic component that allows electric current to flow in only one direction. It is typically made of a semiconductor material such as silicon or germanium.

2. What does the i-v graph of a diode look like?

The i-v graph of a diode is a curved line that starts at the origin and increases quickly in the forward direction, while having very little current flow in the reverse direction.

3. How does a diode work?

A diode works by having a p-n junction, which is a boundary between two different types of semiconductor material. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the diode allows current to flow, but in the reverse direction, the p-n junction acts as an insulator and prevents current from flowing.

4. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

Diodes are commonly used in circuits to convert alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC). They can also be used to protect other components in the circuit from reverse current flow.

5. What factors can affect the i-v graph of a diode?

The i-v graph of a diode can be affected by temperature, light, and the material it is made of. Additionally, the shape and size of the diode can also impact its i-v characteristics.