Why Does Coulomb's Unit Measurement Include Seconds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a coulomb and its units. The question arises as to why the units are Amperes seconds and not Amperes per seconds. The answer is that a coulomb is a total amount of charge, not a rate. This is similar to how energy is a total amount and not a rate, while power is a rate.
ehrenfest
If a coulumb is defined as the amount of charge carried by a current of one Ampere in a second, why is its units Amperes seconds and not Amperes per seconds?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]I=\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] by definition and so [tex]Q = \int I\;dt[/tex] which has a unit of (amperes x seconds)
seems obvious to me, do I understand your question correctly?

Yes, I see how it works mathematically. But I just thought "the amount of charge carried by a current of one Ampere in a second" was similar to the amount of charge carried by a current of one Ampere per second" so it would have units of Amperes/S

No because a coulomb is a total amount of charge not a rate, so after 2 seconds you have 2 coulombs.

yeah, another example Energy = Power x time
and Energy is not a rate, while Power is. so amount of charge is like "energy" in this analogy

Related to Why Does Coulomb's Unit Measurement Include Seconds?

1. Why is the unit measurement for Coulomb in seconds?

Coulomb's unit measurement includes seconds because it is based on the fundamental unit of charge, which is the Coulomb. One Coulomb is equal to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons. This unit was chosen to align with the SI unit of measurement, which is the second.

2. How is the Coulomb related to the second?

The Coulomb is related to the second through the formula Q = I x t, where Q is the charge in Coulombs, I is the current in Amperes, and t is the time in seconds. This formula shows that the Coulomb is a derived unit of measurement, based on the fundamental unit of charge and the fundamental unit of time, which is the second.

3. Can Coulomb's unit measurement be converted to other units of time?

Yes, Coulomb's unit measurement can be converted to other units of time. For example, one Coulomb is equivalent to one Ampere-second, which is a common unit of measurement for electrical charge. Additionally, Coulomb's unit measurement can be converted to smaller units of time, such as milliseconds or microseconds, by using appropriate conversion factors.

4. Is Coulomb's unit measurement the only unit of charge?

No, Coulomb's unit measurement is not the only unit of charge. Other units of charge include the statcoulomb and the franklin, which are used in electrostatic systems. However, the Coulomb is the most widely used unit of charge and is part of the SI system of measurement.

5. Why is the unit measurement for Coulomb based on time?

The unit measurement for Coulomb is based on time because time is a fundamental quantity in physics and is used to measure the rate of electrical charge. Without the inclusion of time, the unit of measurement for Coulomb would not accurately reflect the amount of charge being transferred. Additionally, the inclusion of time allows for easier conversion to other units of measurement, such as Ampere-seconds.