Why does Ampere's law only apply to enclosed currents?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a line integral and the relationship between current and magnetic field. It is stated that only the current enclosed within a loop affects the magnetic field along the line, while external currents may have varying effects. This can be compared to the concept of gravity within a uniform sphere, where only the enclosed mass affects the strength. The details of this relationship can be found in the provided derivation.
lhluo
In my textbook it tells us
∫B ds = I μ
(line integral and I = current enclosed)
It also states that the current not enclosed does not affect the magnetic field along the line.
I don't see a reason for other currents outside the loop not to affect the magnetic field

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You only need to do the math for enclosed currents because the effects of all outside cancel out.
It is similar to finding the strength of gravity below the surface of a uniform sphere of mass - it depends only on the mass enclosed.

The details are in the derivation:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=609430

welcome to pf!

hi lhluo! welcome to pf! :smile:
lhluo said:
I don't see a reason for other currents outside the loop not to affect the magnetic field

they do affect the magnetic field round that loop,

but they increase it in some places, and decrease it in others, and the total round the whole loop is always the same :wink:

Likes 1 person

Related to Why does Ampere's law only apply to enclosed currents?

Why does Ampere's law only apply to enclosed currents?

Ampere's law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the current enclosed by that loop. This means that the loop must be completely enclosed in order for the law to apply.

What is an enclosed current?

An enclosed current is a current that passes through a closed loop. This loop can be any shape as long as it is closed and has no gaps. The current must also pass through the entire loop for it to be considered enclosed.

Why can't Ampere's law be applied to open loops?

Ampere's law cannot be applied to open loops because the magnetic field created by the current is not confined to the loop. This results in an inaccurate calculation of the magnetic field strength.

Can Ampere's law be used to calculate the magnetic field outside of the enclosed loop?

No, Ampere's law only applies to the magnetic field around the enclosed loop. It cannot be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point outside of the loop.

How does Ampere's law relate to the principle of conservation of charge?

Ampere's law is based on the principle of conservation of charge, which states that the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant over time. This is because the current enclosed by the loop represents the flow of charge through that loop.