Why Does Adding a Choke Dim an Electric Lamp in an AC Circuit?

In summary, adding a choke boil in series with an electric lamp in an AC circuit causes the lamp to become dim because the inductive reactance of the choke reduces the current flowing through the circuit. However, by adding a variable capacitor in series, the reactance is balanced and the lamp glows with normal brilliance.
uzair_ha91
A)) A choke boil placed in series with an electric lamp in an AC circuit causes the lamp to become dim. Why?
B)) A variable capacitor "added" in this circuit maybe adjusted until the lamp glows with normal brilliance. Explain how this is possible

ATTEMPT:
If V is the voltage of alternating source, and I is the current flowing when no inductor or capacitor is connected, then
I 1=V/R
If now a choke of inductive reactance Xl is placed in series with the electric lamp, the new impedance of the circuit will be
Z 1=underroot<Rsquare + Xlsquare>
Therefore current flowing will be
I 2=V/[underroot<Rsquare + Xlsquare>]
From the comparison of equations of current, we see that I 2 < I 1 and that is why the electric lamp is dimmed on placing a choke in the circuit.
When a variable capacitor is added in series, Xc opposes Xl and thus
Z 2=underroot<Rsquare + (Xlsquare-Xcsquare)>
Therefore,
I 3=V/[underroot<Rsquare + (Xlsquare-Xcsquare)>]
If Xl = Xc, then Z 2=R
And current becomes equal to I 1 as if there's no reactance in the circuit and hence the lamp glows with normal brilliance.

Can you check whether this is a correct explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Your explanation is correct.

Yes, your explanation is correct. The addition of a choke in an AC circuit causes a decrease in the current flowing through the circuit due to the increased impedance. This decrease in current results in a dimming of the electric lamp. On the other hand, the addition of a variable capacitor with the same reactance as the choke cancels out the effect of the choke, resulting in a decrease in impedance and allowing the current to flow at its original level, causing the lamp to glow with normal brilliance. This phenomenon is known as resonance and is commonly used in AC circuits to control the flow of current.

Related to Why Does Adding a Choke Dim an Electric Lamp in an AC Circuit?

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is an electrical circuit that uses alternating current (AC) as its power source. This means that the flow of electricity is constantly changing direction, unlike in a direct current (DC) circuit where the flow is in one direction.

2. How do I calculate the total impedance of an AC circuit?

The total impedance of an AC circuit is calculated by adding the resistive, inductive, and capacitive components, taking into account their phase relationships. The formula for calculating total impedance is Z = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel AC circuits?

In a series AC circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. In a parallel AC circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, with the same voltage across each component. Series circuits have a single path for current flow, while parallel circuits have multiple paths.

4. How do I calculate power in an AC circuit?

The power in an AC circuit can be calculated using the formula P = VIcos(θ), where P is power, V is voltage, I is current, and θ is the phase angle between the voltage and current. Alternatively, the formula P = I^2R can be used for resistive AC circuits.

5. What is the difference between RMS and peak voltage in an AC circuit?

RMS (root mean square) voltage represents the effective voltage of an AC circuit, taking into account the varying voltage over time. Peak voltage is the maximum voltage value reached during one cycle of AC. RMS voltage is typically used to calculate power and determine the effects of AC on components, while peak voltage is used for peak-to-peak measurements and determining the maximum voltage a component can handle.