Why Does a Pendulum's Period Change with Angle?

• Thread starter starfish9000
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment conducted on a simple pendulum, where the maximum theta was increased by increments of 5 degrees. The participants observed that the period seemed to increase slightly with the increase in maximum theta and were unsure if this was due to drag force or a mistake. They also questioned if the period should be the same for all maximum angles, as it is dependent on free fall acceleration and the length of the string, which remained constant during the experiment. The conversation ends with a request for help and a link to a resource that may provide more information on the topic.
starfish9000
A very easy Pendulum.Give me advice!

Recently I and my teacher worked on this lab report to the simple pendulum and that we did an play around where we boosted the max theta about the increments of 5 diplomas, while keeping how big the sting exactly the same. We started following a 5 degrees and frequented 45 degrees. In some manner the periods manage to increase slighty once we increase the limit theta. I am already wondering if it is because the drag force or if that our mistake. I think we should have a similar period independent as the angle because i was told that T=2π √(L/g) as well as proved this. As the period, T depends the free autumn accelleration and the amount of the string, that doesn't change throughout my business experiment, shouldn't that time for all max angles the actual same? I am thinking that air resistance comes in, but I am unsure how. We haven't discovered that yet and because this is my first physics class ever and I'm very stumped. Interesting help? Plz pm me or reply.Maybe u get rewarded.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Why Does a Pendulum's Period Change with Angle?

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a string or rod that can swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. How do I set up a pendulum?

To set up a pendulum, you will need a weight, a string or rod, and a sturdy support. Attach the weight to the string or rod and hang it from the support. Make sure the weight has enough space to swing freely.

3. How does a pendulum work?

A pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as it swings. As the pendulum swings back and forth, it moves between potential and kinetic energy, with the energy being transferred between the two.

4. How can I make a pendulum swing easier?

To make a pendulum swing easier, you can decrease the friction in the system by using a thin string or lubricating the pivot point. You can also increase the length of the string or adjust the weight of the pendulum.

5. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by its length, weight, angle of release, and the force of gravity. Air resistance and friction can also affect the motion of a pendulum.