Why Does a Pen Bounce Higher When Dropped Vertically Compared to Horizontally?

• Thread starter consciousness
  • Start date
In summary: Structural properties like coefficient of restitution of a macroscopic object are not just a function of the material. The geometry also plays a role in determining how much energy is returned, and how much goes to heat.
consciousness
Hi, i am studying collisions at school and have a simple question about something i observed while absentmindedly dropping pens.

1)First find a a useless pen (or any other similarly shaped object) and hold it still such that it is parallel to the horizontal about 20 centimeters above your desk and carefully let it fall. If you did it accurately then the whole side of the pen will touch the desk at the same time.
2)Now do the same thing again but this time do it keeping the pen completely vertical witheither side facing down.

You probably got what I am getting to-
"Why does the center of mass of pen in the second case bounce so high when compared to the first where the pen barely bounces?"
Seems strange that velocity of pen in case 2 as it rises is more than that in case 1.(We can't consider it to be point particle?)

Possible explanations I thought of-
1)Air resistance in first case when the pen rises is much more than that in the second case.
(True but i doubt if that would make such a big difference)
2)I somehow feel that in the 2nd case all the force passes through the center of mass and that somehow makes a difference. (not able to properly explain)
3)Some ideas related to torque which I can't explain as i haven't studied that topic.

All ideas and help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
On vertical impact the pen compresses more, and stores more in energy in that deformation.

A.T. said:
On vertical impact the pen compresses more, and stores more in energy in that deformation.
So does the desk.There is more force per square inch when the verticle or tip of the pen hits.

Don't forget moving parts, such as the spring!

A.T. said:

Buckleymanor said:
So does the desk.There is more force per square inch when the verticle or tip of the pen hits.

I agree but on horizontal impact more points on the pen and the desk compress. Does that make a difference? If we consider the pen to be made of same material throughout then coefficient of restitution would be same in both cases.
Hurkyl said:
Don't forget moving parts, such as the spring!

I don't completely understand...regular pens with no spring also show this effect.

The answer is a pretty simple impulse momentum case. It's just as the others have said, Let's say that the force that the pen applies to the table is F=ma. In the first case you're distributing the force over a much larger area, thus the force pushing it back up is significantly smaller.

consciousness said:
If we consider the pen to be made of same material throughout then coefficient of restitution would be same in both cases.
Structural properties like coefficient of restitution of a macroscopic object are not just a function of the material. The geometry also plays a role in determining how much energy is returned, and how much goes to heat. Otherwise springs would not be winded helices, but just straight rods. And if you drop a spring sideways it will also jump less than when dropped vertically.

examine your pen is it not semi hollow the impact when droped on its side is obsorbed by the air behind it think a pillow would you rather be hit with that or a solid hunk of wood (even with equal mass) it becousse the air between the fiber in the pillow obsorbes the potential energy

Related to Why Does a Pen Bounce Higher When Dropped Vertically Compared to Horizontally?

1. How does a bouncing pen work?

A bouncing pen works by utilizing the elastic potential energy stored in the pen's material. When the pen hits a surface, the material compresses and stores energy. This energy is then released, causing the pen to bounce back up.

2. What factors affect the height of a bouncing pen?

The height of a bouncing pen is affected by factors such as the material of the pen, the surface it bounces on, and the force with which it is dropped. A pen with a more elastic material and a harder surface will generally bounce higher.

3. Can the height of a bouncing pen be calculated?

Yes, the height of a bouncing pen can be calculated using the equation h = (e*h0), where h is the final height, e is the coefficient of restitution (a measure of the material's elasticity), and h0 is the initial height from which the pen is dropped.

4. Is the bouncing height of a pen affected by air resistance?

In most cases, the bouncing height of a pen is not significantly affected by air resistance. This is because the pen is relatively small and light, so the force of air resistance is minimal compared to the force of gravity pulling the pen down.

5. Can a bouncing pen be used to demonstrate the conservation of energy?

Yes, a bouncing pen can be used to demonstrate the conservation of energy. As the pen bounces, it converts its potential energy into kinetic energy and back again. This demonstrates the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.