Why Does a Passenger Continue Moving Forward When a Car Stops Suddenly?

In summary, Newton's First Law states that an object in motion will continue in motion unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
quark001

Homework Statement

A passenger in a moving car is thrown forward when the car stops suddenly. Explain why this happens with reference to Newton's First Law.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." That explains why the passenger stops moving, but how does it explain why passenger stops moving only some time after the car stops moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what about first checking out what the law actually is?

"Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it."

And, as some additional advice -the car is in fact 'pushing' the passenger.. And will stop pushing him when the car stops..
And what stops an object in the air..

I think that should be enough to help you!
And if you really can't figure it out yet - just tell me and I will give you another hint.. (but only if you really thought about it first..)

Abhishekdas - you are aware that you are not supposed to simply give him the answer, right? Check out the sticky at the top.

Ya...but i thought this was a conceptua question so...neway i will delete it...I do feel guilty...

Don't worry that much, just thought I would remind you of it - Please don't feel guilty :P

The car stops - so there is no unbalanced force acting on the passenger - which is why the passenger also eventually stops. I get that, but what I'm wondering is: why doesn't the passenger stop at the exact moment that the car stops?

quark001 said:
The car stops - so there is no unbalanced force acting on the passenger - which is why the passenger also eventually stops. I get that, but what I'm wondering is: why doesn't the passenger stop at the exact moment that the car stops?

You are not getting your thinking right...Why should the car stop if there is no unbalanced force acting on it...It should remain in motion...According to Newton's First...Think...clearly...

Ok! :) The passenger should continue moving at a constant velocity until it hits the dashboard/seatbelt, which provides the unbalanced force for it to stop.

Why doesn't this happen to the passenger when the car stops really slowly?

Simple:
- You will try to push yourself back presumably
- Your seatbelt also pushes you back a little
- Air resistance

So - It does, you just don't notice it that much.

Another reason why you can't experience it when it stops slowly maybe that the static friction limit is not exceeded if we decellerate slowly...

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess it was a stupid question from the start :)

No...it was not stupid...The transition from younger classes to core physics is not so easy...Yow know what...?

When i first got to know that... if you apply a force and give a body some velocity and you leave it in a space where there is no force acting it will keep going for ages...i just could not believe it...i really got the shock of my life...i was like how can a body move if there is no force on it...i could not digest it...Actually we live in world so far from the ideal situations which we oven have to face while studying ...it at times does take time to grasp these things...

And that's why we should realize how intelligent and great people like Newton and the other scientists were...To actually realize these things...

Related to Why Does a Passenger Continue Moving Forward When a Car Stops Suddenly?

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How can I apply Newton's laws to real-world problems?

Newton's laws can be applied to real-world problems by identifying the forces acting on an object, determining the net force, and using the appropriate equations to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of the object. It is important to draw free-body diagrams and use correct units in order to solve these problems accurately.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in Newton's laws?

In Newton's laws, mass refers to the amount of matter in an object and is measured in kilograms. Weight, on the other hand, is the force of gravity acting on an object and is measured in newtons. Mass remains constant regardless of location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. Can Newton's laws be applied to objects in space?

Yes, Newton's laws can be applied to objects in space as they still experience forces such as gravity and air resistance. However, these forces may be different in space due to the absence of air and the effects of microgravity.

5. Are there any limitations to Newton's laws?

While Newton's laws are accurate in most situations, they do have some limitations. They do not account for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light or objects at the atomic level. They also do not consider the effects of friction and air resistance, which can significantly impact an object's motion in the real world.