Why Does a Negative Spring Constant Give a Nonreal Period in Oscillation?

In summary, the individual is conducting a lab and graphed their data points, resulting in a negative slope. The y-axis is measured in Newtons and the x-axis is in Meters. The teacher stated that the slope represents the constant, k. The formula for the period of an oscillation is T=2pi(m/k)^1/2. However, the value of k is negative, leading to a nonreal answer when substituted into the formula. The individual is questioning what they may have done wrong in their experiment.
bmx_Freestyle
Ok so i am doing a lab...and i graphed my data points and my slope turned out to be negative.
The y-axis is in Newtons and the x-axis is in Meters.
So my teacher said the the slope=k (constant)
period of an oscillation formula: T=2pi(m/k)^1/2
But my k is negative so when i substitute all my numbers, i get a "Nonreal answer"
What did i do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bmx_Freestyle said:
Ok so i am doing a lab...and i graphed my data points and my slope turned out to be negative.
The y-axis is in Newtons and the x-axis is in Meters.
So my teacher said the the slope=k (constant)
period of an oscillation formula: T=2pi(m/k)^1/2
But my k is negative so when i substitute all my numbers, i get a "Nonreal answer"
What did i do wrong?

You said this was a prac, and you were plotting the results.

What instrument were you using to measure the [Force, in] Newtons;

What instrument were you using to measure the metres;

that you eventually plotted?

What experiment were you actually doing? A pendulum? A mass on a spring? A mass in an inertial balance?

Related to Why Does a Negative Spring Constant Give a Nonreal Period in Oscillation?

1. What is the definition of "period of an oscillation"?

The period of an oscillation refers to the time it takes for one complete cycle of an oscillating motion, such as a swinging pendulum or vibrating spring.

2. How is the period of an oscillation related to its frequency?

The period and frequency of an oscillation are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the period of an oscillation?

The period of an oscillation is affected by the length of the oscillating object, the amplitude (maximum displacement), and the stiffness or elasticity of the object.

4. Can the period of an oscillation be changed?

Yes, the period of an oscillation can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the length, amplitude, or stiffness of the object. Additionally, external forces can also affect the period of an oscillation.

5. How is the period of an oscillation calculated?

The period of an oscillation can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the oscillating object, and k is the spring constant or stiffness of the object.