Why Does a Drowned Bee Float and Bubble?

In summary, near the speaker's room there is a bee trap filled with juice where bees drown. After drowning, the bee floats for 2 days, then sinks for a few days, and finally rises to the top covered in bubbles. The conversation suggests that this is likely due to putrefaction or the formation of gas within the bee's body, causing it to rise to the surface.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Near my room there's a bee trap where bees fly into a kind of bottle half filled with juice and they eventually drown. For the first 2 days after drowning the bee floats. Then it sinks for a few days, and then it floats to the top again and is covered in bubbles.
Why does this happen?
Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Putrefaction will be my bet.

I agree with Borek. Within the first few days of a human body dieing, for instance, gas begins to form and swell in the abdomen. Something similar probably happens inside the bees...and since gas is less dense than water, enough gas must have formed to carry the bee's body to the top. This would also explain the bubbles you saw.

Related to Why Does a Drowned Bee Float and Bubble?

1. Why do bees float when they drown?

Bees have a layer of fine, water-repellent hairs on their bodies that trap air and make them more buoyant. This allows them to float on the surface of the water even when they are fully submerged.

2. Why do drowned bees produce bubbles?

When a bee drowns, its body starts to decompose and release gases, which form bubbles on the surface of the water. These bubbles are a result of the decomposition process, and not a sign of the bee being alive.

3. Do all insects float when they drown?

No, not all insects have the same water-repellent hairs on their bodies as bees do. Some insects, like mosquitoes, do not have these hairs and will sink when they drown.

4. How long can a drowned bee stay afloat?

The length of time a drowned bee can float depends on various factors such as water temperature, size of the bee, and how much water it absorbs. Generally, a bee can stay afloat for a few hours to a few days before it sinks to the bottom.

5. Is the bee still alive when it is floating and bubbling?

No, the bee is not alive when it is floating and producing bubbles. The buzzing sound that is sometimes heard from a drowned bee is caused by the bubbles popping as they reach the surface of the water, and not from the bee being alive.