Why Does a Constant Appear Only on One Side in This Differential Equation?

In summary: Technically, integrating both sides of the equation will result in a constant of integration for each integral:∫ dV/V = ∫ (-E/R) dtln V + C1 = (-E/R) * t + C2The two separate constants of integration can be combined into one constant:ln V = (-E/R) * t + C2 - C1 = (-E/R) * t + C, where C = C2 - C1and the solution proceeds as described in Post #8.
Marcis Rancans
I don't understand this first order differential equation:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/UUpQF4YjmjJRPvFuzGg2MhpMMMDyi2KFZPCKMKVIXGREc1owvXDzGR0bcA=s600
How is it possible to get an exponent as answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What if Eq. (2) were re-written as follows:

dV/dt = -(E/R) * V

then, separating the variables:

dV/V = -(E/R) dt

Care to take it from here?

SteamKing said:
What if Eq. (2) were re-written as follows:

dV/dt = -(E/R) * V

then, separating the variables:

dV/V = -(E/R) dt

Care to take it from here?
I would like to see what comes up next! :)

Marcis Rancans said:
I would like to see what comes up next! :)

Why can't you solve this DE now? All you have to do is integrate both sides of the equation. :wink:

SteamKing said:
Why can't you solve this DE now? All you have to do is integrate both sides of the equation. :wink:
I have no idea how to get constant in front of exponent.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/5VChRnbmBvEIkRzaZU7vGVBjf1r09ypiNOhcbq4C0LlVdP_3Tqdu_Pvtrg=s600

EDIT: Forgot to add "-C" in exponent function which I got drom integration.

Marcis Rancans said:
I have no idea how to get constant in front of exponent.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/5VChRnbmBvEIkRzaZU7vGVBjf1r09ypiNOhcbq4C0LlVdP_3Tqdu_Pvtrg=s600

EDIT: Forgot to add "-C" in exponent function which I got drom integration.

If you have ln V = Mess, what do you do to the LHS of the equation to get V? i.e., how is the natural log of a number related to the constant e?

SteamKing said:
If you have ln V = Mess, what do you do to the LHS of the equation to get V? i.e., how is the natural log of a number related to the constant e?
Isn't that correct what I wrote? V is e^(MESS).

Marcis Rancans said:
Isn't that correct what I wrote? V is e^(MESS).
It is. I'm sorry for not fully recognizing that.

However, when you did the integration to obtain ln V, you forgot to include the constant of integration on the RHS, thus:

∫ dV/V = ∫ (-E/R) dt

ln V = (-E/R)*t + C

Let's say at t = 0, V = V0, then

ln V0 = C, so

ln V = (-E/R)*t + ln V0

exponentiating both sides gives:

eln V = e[(-E/R)*t + ln V0]

which can be simplified:

V = e(-E/R)*t * eln V0 {using the law of exponents}

V = V0 * e(-E/R)*t

if T = R/E, then

V = V0 * e(-t / T)

Likes Marcis Rancans
SteamKing said:
It is. I'm sorry for not fully recognizing that.

However, when you did the integration to obtain ln V, you forgot to include the constant of integration on the RHS, thus:

∫ dV/V = ∫ (-E/R) dt

ln V = (-E/R)*t + C

Let's say at t = 0, V = V0, then

ln V0 = C, so

ln V = (-E/R)*t + ln V0

exponentiating both sides gives:

eln V = e[(-E/R)*t + ln V0]

which can be simplified:

V = e(-E/R)*t * eln V0 {using the law of exponents}

V = V0 * e(-E/R)*t

if T = R/E, then

V = V0 * e(-t / T)
Thanks for clear explanation! Only thing I don't understand why constant appears only on one side of equation?

Marcis Rancans said:
Thanks for clear explanation! Only thing I don't understand why constant appears only on one side of equation?

Technically, integrating both sides of the equation will result in a constant of integration for each integral:

∫ dV/V = ∫ (-E/R) dt

ln V + C1 = (-E/R) * t + C2

The two separate constants of integration can be combined into one constant:

ln V = (-E/R) * t + C2 - C1 = (-E/R) * t + C, where C = C2 - C1

and the solution proceeds as described in Post #8.

Likes Marcis Rancans

Related to Why Does a Constant Appear Only on One Side in This Differential Equation?

What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivative (the rate of change of the function). It is called "first order" because it involves only the first derivative of the function.

What are some real-life applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to model and understand various phenomena. Examples include population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

How do you solve a first order differential equation?

There are various methods for solving first order differential equations, depending on the specific equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. It is important to first identify the type of equation and then choose the appropriate method.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial first order differential equation?

An ordinary first order differential equation involves only one independent variable, whereas a partial first order differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model single-variable systems, while partial differential equations are used for multi-variable systems.

Why are first order differential equations important in science?

First order differential equations are important in science because they allow us to mathematically describe and understand the behavior of various systems and processes. They are used to make predictions, design experiments, and develop theories in many different fields of science.