Why Does a Compass Needle Dip Downward?

In summary, the reason a compass needle is not always balanced parallel to the Earth's surface is due to the Earth's magnetic field and gravity. A compass needle is a magnet that aligns itself with an applied magnetic field, and the direction of the Earth's magnetic field near the surface of the Earth can affect the orientation of the needle. Doing further research on the Earth's magnetic field can provide a better understanding of this phenomenon.
-_-'
Plz help me if you can...

Question: A compass needle is not always balanced parallel to the Earth's surface but one end may dip downward. explain.

I know that the answer has something to do with the Earth's magnetic field...or may be even gravity. I've read in my physics textbook about the Earth's magnetic field but it doesn't answer the question or give me any hints!:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Any magnet that is completely free to rotate will align itself with an applied magnetic field. The needle in your compass is a little magnet that can only move more or less horizontally. Do a little research to find out about the direction of the Earth's magnetic field near the surface of the Earth and you will have your answer.

thanks alot

Related to Why Does a Compass Needle Dip Downward?

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnetic material or a moving electric charge where the force of magnetism can be detected.

How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by the movement of electric charge. In most cases, this movement is caused by the motion of electrons within an atom or the flow of current through a wire.

What is a compass?

A compass is a navigational instrument that uses a magnetic needle to indicate direction. The needle aligns with the Earth's magnetic field, pointing towards the North and South poles.

Why does a compass needle point North?

The Earth has a magnetic field, and the needle of a compass is a tiny magnet that aligns itself with this field. The north end of the needle is attracted to the Earth's magnetic North pole, causing it to point in that direction.

How do magnetic fields affect compasses?

The Earth's magnetic field affects compasses by causing the needle to align with it. However, other magnetic fields, such as those produced by electronic devices or large metal objects, can interfere with the compass's accuracy.