Why Does 4C Equate to 400 Amps in This Context?

• Thread starter robinfisichel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amps
In summary, the 'C' in battery rating refers to battery capacity, equivalent to the amp-hour rating. A 1C rating means the battery can discharge in slightly less than one hour. A 4C rating would mean the battery could supply 400A for 1/4 hour, but the discharge curve would need to be examined for exact meaning as it is not linear. The 'C' does not stand for coulombs.
robinfisichel
http://evcomponents.com/cscart/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29862

for example

I thought Coulombs SI units was A.s so for 1 second 4C = 4A, am i wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
robinfisichel said:
http://evcomponents.com/cscart/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29862

for example

I thought Coulombs SI units was A.s so for 1 second 4C = 4A, am i wrong?

The C is probably for Roman Numerals...which means 100. Hence, 4C = 4 x 100 = 400, 12C = 12 x 100 = 1200.

CS

No the 'C' in the battery rating refers to battery capacity. '1C' is synonymous with the 'amp-hour' rating of the battery, and is the the rate at which the battery totally discharges in something a little less than one hour. For the OP's example, 4C=400A means the battery would supply 400A for 1/4 hour, but one needs to see the battery discharge curve for tje exact meaning as the curves are not linear.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-16a.htm

mheslep said:
No the 'C' in the battery rating refers to battery capacity. '1C' is synonymous with the 'amp-hour' rating of the battery, and is the the rate at which the battery totally discharges in something a little less than one hour. For the OP's example, 4C=400A means the battery would supply 400A for 1/4 hour, but one needs to see the battery discharge curve for tje exact meaning as the curves are not linear.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-16a.htm

Thanks mshelp! You seem to be answering a lot of my questions lately! I am not sure i completely understand but I get the idea now, C is NOT coulombs!

I can confirm that your understanding is correct. The unit for electric current, the ampere (A), is defined as the flow of one coulomb (C) of charge per second. Therefore, 4C would equate to a current of 4A. However, in the context of the product linked, it is possible that the manufacturer is using a different convention for quoting current ratings. It is important to note that the 400 amps mentioned could refer to the maximum current capacity of the product, rather than a specific measurement of current. As scientists, we must always be mindful of the units and conventions used in a particular context and ensure that we are interpreting them accurately.

Related to Why Does 4C Equate to 400 Amps in This Context?

1. Why is 4C quoted as 400 amps?

4C is a unit used to measure the discharge rate of a battery. It represents four times the capacity of the battery in ampere-hours. Therefore, if a battery has a capacity of 100 ampere-hours, the 4C discharge rate would be 400 amps.

2. How is 4C different from other discharge rates?

4C is a high discharge rate that is typically used for industrial or heavy-duty applications. Other discharge rates, such as 1C or 2C, are more commonly used for everyday devices like cell phones or laptops.

3. Why is 4C considered a high discharge rate?

4C is considered a high discharge rate because it represents a rapid discharge of the battery's energy. This can put a strain on the battery and may shorten its lifespan if used frequently.

4. Can any battery handle a 4C discharge rate?

No, not all batteries are designed to handle a 4C discharge rate. This type of discharge rate is typically used for high-power applications, so the battery must be specifically designed to handle the increased load without overheating or damaging the cells.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a 4C discharge rate?

Yes, using a 4C discharge rate can put a strain on the battery and may cause it to overheat. This can potentially lead to safety hazards, such as fires or explosions. It is important to use caution and follow manufacturer guidelines when using a 4C discharge rate.