Why does 1/k + 1/(1-k) = 1/k(1-k)?

• Thread starter quozzy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about one person struggling with algebraic manipulation and asking for help. After realizing their mistake, they apologized for asking the question and acknowledged that they just had a minor brainfart. The other person reassured them that it's common to solve a problem while trying to explain it to someone else. The original person then explained their mistake was due to being tired.
quozzy
Okay, I feel stupid posting this, but algebraic manipulation is failing me. I know these two expressions are the same, but can anyone help me see how one could arrive at one of these from the other?

EDIT: *facepalm* Alright, I was trying to figure this out for a half hour before I posted. Of course, after posting I immediately came across the answer. I guess it was just a minor brainfart. Sorry guys, don't mind me...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume you meant 1/(k(1-k)) on the right hand side.

I also assume you know how to compute with fractions, such as writing:
[tex]\frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{4}[/tex]​
as a single fraction. So, can you explain why you are having trouble with the question you asked? Where are you stuck?

EDIT: *facepalm* Alright, I was trying to figure this out for a half hour before I posted. Of course, after posting I immediately came across the answer. I guess it was just a minor brainfart. Sorry guys, don't mind me...
Ah! Good then. Brainfarts happen all the time. You wouldn't believe how often I solve a problem in the process of trying to explain it to someone else as I'm asking for help!

Yeah, I realize now how silly this question really was. As I pointed out in my edit, for some reason I completely blanked out on basic arithmetic. I guess that's what happens when you're overdue for a good night's sleep...

Related to Why does 1/k + 1/(1-k) = 1/k(1-k)?

1. What is the formula for 1/k + 1/(1-k)?

The formula for 1/k + 1/(1-k) is 1/k(1-k).

2. Why does 1/k + 1/(1-k) equal 1/k(1-k)?

The two fractions, 1/k and 1/(1-k), have a common denominator of k(1-k). When we add them together, we follow the basic rule of adding fractions with the same denominator, which is to simply add the numerators and keep the common denominator. Therefore, 1/k + 1/(1-k) becomes (1+1)/(k(1-k)) = 2/k(1-k) = 1/k(1-k).

3. Can 1/k + 1/(1-k) be simplified further?

No, the fraction 1/k + 1/(1-k) is already in its simplest form, which is 1/k(1-k).

4. How is the formula 1/k + 1/(1-k) used in mathematics?

The formula 1/k + 1/(1-k) is commonly used in algebraic equations to simplify expressions or solve equations. It is also used in calculus to evaluate limits and perform other mathematical operations.

5. Is the formula 1/k + 1/(1-k) applicable to all values of k?

Yes, the formula 1/k + 1/(1-k) is applicable to all values of k except for k = 0 and k = 1. This is because the denominator k(1-k) becomes 0 when k = 0 or k = 1, which is undefined in mathematics.