Bound Electrons and Spintronics

In summary: This is due to the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle and quantum entanglement. The changing of one electron's spin in a quantum computer will not affect the spin of the other electron, but they will still be entangled and a measurement of one will determine the spin of the other.
Lyuokdea
I was recently reading an article about how quantum computer scientists have found a way to infuence the spin of electrons, http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2002/split/595-2.html,

My question is, I know that for instance, if two electrons were in the same atom of ground state He, the electrons must have different spins, but because of the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle, there is only a 50% chance that either electron has either spin. My question is, if these two electrons were taken away from the He atom and one was placed in a quantum computer where its spin was changed, the changing of its spin would not have any impact on the spin of the other electron would it? I mean, once the two electrons are taken away, they are no longer bound, are they?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody know?

I'm not sure in this particular case, but I think you mean quantum entanglement.

correct, that's the right word, but my question is, are the electrons still entangled after they are separated?

I don't know under what circumstances a pair of electrons will become entangled, but if we assume they are the moment they're removed I'm almost certain that they will stay that way forever.

Well basically what you're looking at is a case of two entangled electrons with opposite spin. Once they are removed from each other they are still entangled, so a measurement of one of them's spin will also detrmine the other ones spin, so they are still 'bonded'. However if you reverse the spin of one of the electrons without measuring it, they are still entangled. However, instead of the measuremnt of one electron defining the spin of the other electron as the opposite of that measurement, a measurment of one electron's spin will mean that the other one will have the same spin as the measured electron.

In summary, they are still entangled and they both still have a 50-50 chance of having either spin, but this time when one is measured they both will have the same spin.

1. What are bound electrons?

Bound electrons are electrons that are confined to a specific location or energy level within an atom. They are not free to move around like free electrons, and their movements are restricted by the forces of the surrounding atoms.

2. What is spintronics?

Spintronics, short for spin electronics, is a field of study that focuses on the role of electron spin in electronic devices. It involves using the spin of electrons to store, manipulate, and transmit information, which has the potential to improve the performance and efficiency of electronic devices.

3. How do bound electrons and spintronics relate?

Bound electrons play a crucial role in spintronics as they are responsible for the spin of electrons. The spin of bound electrons can be manipulated and controlled, allowing for the creation of spin-based electronic devices.

4. What are some potential applications of bound electrons and spintronics?

Some potential applications of bound electrons and spintronics include spin-based transistors, magnetic memory devices, and quantum computing. These technologies have the potential to make electronic devices smaller, faster, and more energy-efficient.

5. What are the current challenges in the field of bound electrons and spintronics?

One of the main challenges in this field is finding efficient and reliable ways to manipulate and control the spin of electrons. Additionally, there is a need for more research and development to make these technologies commercially viable and cost-effective.