Why do you always assume the worst?

• Thread starter ubavontuba
  • Start date
In summary, it appears that the people who frequent this forum have a very narrow vision of what constitutes quality writing. They are also insensitive to other people's feelings and do not provide a fair opportunity for others to respond. This forum could benefit from a less dogpiled approach and a focus on quality writing instead of quantity.
ubavontuba
Why is it that when I express a feeling or concern, you guys seem to assume I mean it in the worst possible way, dogpile on top of me, and then lock me out of the thread before I have a fair chance to respond? My recent comments in the "I am offended by the narrow vision of this forum" thread are a good example.

Have none of you heard of the MIT fake paper scandal in regards to this? Here's a link to the http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A6622-2005Apr21?language=printer" article.

It seems I'm not the only one perturbed by the gobbledygook. Here's a direct quote:

Robert MacMillan said:
I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Reporters who write about the technology sector crack themselves up over the abstruse, jargon-laced language of their beat.

Sometimes we'll mix and match corporate tech-talk to come up with our own press releases: "It's a plug-and-play seamless connection paradigm that produces a win-win across multiple platforms for asynchronous synergies." You might think that's laying it on a bit thick, but I've seen worse. Technology writers should get a special bonus check every year for translating geek-speak into plain English.

So, it would seem that my concerns are well founded. Granted, I have read many intersting papers that are simply and eloquently written. But I dare say the majority aren't written with such regards to the reader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
And reporters writing about technology are NOT professional scientists writing journal articles. We've already discussed the MIT thing too (it was an abstract for a conference...nobody reviews abstracts and they're considered preliminary, so don't get much weight anyway...a lot of hype over nothing).

You had your say on this matter twice already.

ubavontuba said:
It seems I'm not the only one perturbed by the gobbledygook. Here's a direct quote: Originally Posted by Robert MacMillan
I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Reporters who write about the technology sector crack themselves up over the abstruse, jargon-laced language of their beat.

Sometimes we'll mix and match corporate tech-talk to come up with our own press releases: "It's a plug-and-play seamless connection paradigm that produces a win-win across multiple platforms for asynchronous synergies." You might think that's laying it on a bit thick, but I've seen worse. Technology writers should get a special bonus check every year for translating geek-speak into plain English.
Your post is about technology, and actually that sentence is corny but not high tech, it sounds like a sales pitch, it's a lame example. It has nothing to do with the sciences, you don't know the difference?

So, it would seem that my concerns are well founded.
You appear to be unable to grasp information, perhaps intentionally, what we refer to as a troll. You're really digging yourself quite a hole.

Last edited:

Related to Why do you always assume the worst?

1. Why do you always assume the worst?

As a scientist, I am trained to think critically and analyze situations objectively. This often involves considering all possible outcomes, including worst-case scenarios. It is not that I am pessimistic, but rather that I prioritize being prepared for all potential outcomes.

2. Is it healthy to always assume the worst?

It is important to strike a balance between being prepared for the worst and maintaining a positive outlook. While it can be beneficial to consider potential negative outcomes, constantly dwelling on them can lead to anxiety and stress. It is important to also focus on the positive aspects of a situation.

3. How can I stop assuming the worst?

One way to stop assuming the worst is to practice mindfulness and focus on the present moment. This can help reduce anxiety and prevent the mind from fixating on negative outcomes. It can also be helpful to challenge negative thoughts and reframe them in a more positive light.

4. Does assuming the worst make you a negative person?

No, assuming the worst does not necessarily make someone a negative person. It is a natural tendency for some individuals, and it does not define their overall outlook on life. Additionally, considering worst-case scenarios can also be a sign of being responsible and prepared.

5. Can assuming the worst be beneficial?

Yes, assuming the worst can be beneficial in certain situations. It can help us identify potential risks and make contingency plans. It can also motivate us to take necessary precautions and prevent negative outcomes. However, it is important to not let it consume our thoughts and affect our overall well-being.