Why do weaker capacitors have the the largest voltage acros

In summary, the conversation is discussing a series circuit with capacitors and the question of which individual capacitor has the highest voltage across it. The conversation delves into understanding the relationship between current, charge, and voltage in a series circuit. It is concluded that the capacitor with the smallest capacitance will have the highest voltage across it. However, due to the lack of information about the initial charge on the capacitors, it is necessary to assume that the initial charge is zero for all capacitors before the voltage is applied.
Buggsy GC

Homework Statement

A voltage is applied across the capacitor network in the image shown Below (if it loaded I can only see a small panel with IMG on it), which of these individual capacitors has the highest voltage across it

Homework Equations

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1042796789135446&set=a.1042796642468794.1073741831.100002154049134&type=3&size=640%2C960: is in the attached file below ( I hope its
visible )[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

: I thought 2 micro-farad would have the largest voltage across it, because its the largest capacitor. But the answer is 530 pf which is the smallest capacitorn[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_0607.PNG
    IMG_0607.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice, the capacitors are connected in series.
What does this tell you about the current through each capacitor and the amount of charge on each capacitor?
Then remember Q=CV or V= Q/C. So what does that tell you about the voltage on each capacitor?

Likes CWatters
I would assume that voltage would decrease as it pass down the capacitors in series , the same as it would with resistors, I don't think the capacitors would increase the voltage in series, because that is what i though would originally happen, as capacitors are designed to store energy and this is why I chose the larger capacitor to have the higher voltage across it in series. also it how do I do that equation V=Q/C if I'm only given the capacitance (C)

unless the larger capacitors are storing more of the voltage in its electrostatic field than, the weaker capacitors so its voltage across is weaker. this would explain why the weakest capacitor has the highest voltage across it. Is this a correct statement

Buggsy GC said:
I would assume that voltage would decrease as it pass down the capacitors in series , the same as it would with resistors,...
1- I would suggest, in general, you don't talk about voltage as an absolute value in circuits - only as a difference between two points, such as the ends of a component. That voltage can go up or down as you go along. V=IR , so if the resistances are different, then the voltages can be different, in proportion to their resistances.
2 - I asked about the current, that is the flow of charge, through the series of capacitors.
If you want to look at series resistors, then what can you say about the current through series resistors? What does that tell you about the charge flowing through each resistor?
Then, what can you say about the current through series capacitors and what does that tell you about the charge flowing through each capacitor.

Lets forget the voltages until we get that sorted.

unless the larger capacitors are storing more of the voltage in its electrostatic field than, the weaker capacitors so its voltage across is weaker. this would explain why the weakest capacitor has the highest voltage across it. Is this a correct statement
1 - In this context capacitors are not weak or strong: they have a larger or smaller capacitance.
2 - What do capacitors store? Clue: not voltage. 2nd clue: Q=CV
3 - If you charge a capacitor, then disconnect it from the circuit, you can change its capacitance by moving the plates closer or further apart or by changing the dielectric. In each case the capacitance and the voltage will change as you do this, but something will remain constant.

Series_Capacitors.png

On these diagrams, what can you tell me about I1, I2, I3, I4, & I5? What can you tell me about V1, V2, V3, V4, & V5?

By the way, it seems you are required to make an assumption about the initial charge on the capacitors. Assume that initially, before the voltage is applied, that each capacitor's charge is zero.

The creator of the question really should have specified the initial charge as part of the problem statement, and shame on them for not doing so. This problem isn't really solvable without that information. So in lieu of that, just assume that the initial charge is 0 on all capacitors, just before the voltage is applied.

Now go back to @Merlin3189's questions. Given the series configuration, what is the relative current through one capacitor compared to that of any other capacitor? What does that tell you about the relative charge on any individual capacitor compared to any other capacitor?

Merlin3189 said:
1- I would suggest, in general, you don't talk about voltage as an absolute value in circuits - only as a difference between two points, such as the ends of a component. That voltage can go up or down as you go along. V=IR , so if the resistances are different, then the voltages can be different, in proportion to their resistances.
2 - I asked about the current, that is the flow of charge, through the series of capacitors.
If you want to look at series resistors, then what can you say about the current through series resistors? What does that tell you about the charge flowing through each resistor?
Then, what can you say about the current through series capacitors and what does that tell you about the charge flowing through each capacitor.: Reply [the amount of current that flows through a resistor in series will be the same at all points in the network, so I would assume that this rule would be the same for capacitors]

Lets forget the voltages until we get that sorted.1 - In this context capacitors are not weak or strong: they have a larger or smaller capacitance.
2 - What do capacitors store? Clue: not voltage. 2nd clue: Q=CV [ capacitors store energy in electrostatic fields which i assume we count as the electric charge (Q)
3 - If you charge a capacitor, then disconnect it from the circuit, you can change its capacitance by moving the plates closer or further apart or by changing the dielectric. In each case the capacitance and the voltage will change as you do this, but something will remain constant. [ I think the current should remain the same through the circuit]

View attachment 103559
On these diagrams, what can you tell me about I1, I2, I3, I4, & I5? [current is measure before the it passed through each component) What can you tell me about V1, V2, V3, V4, & V5?
[ voltage is measured at both the resistors and the capacitors]

collinsmark said:
By the way, it seems you are required to make an assumption about the initial charge on the capacitors. Assume that initially, before the voltage is applied, that each capacitor's charge is zero.

The creator of the question really should have specified the initial charge as part of the problem statement, and shame on them for not doing so. This problem isn't really solvable without that information. So in lieu of that, just assume that the initial charge is 0 on all capacitors, just before the voltage is applied.

Now go back to @Merlin3189's questions. Given the series configuration, what is the relative current through one capacitor compared to that of any other capacitor? What does that tell you about the relative charge on any individual capacitor compared to any other capacitor?

since the capacitors are in series the current should be equal through out the circuit at each capacitor. also if you have told me that each capacitors charge is zero then to find the voltage I use the formula V=Q/C
but if Q = 0 won't that just mean all my voltage calculations will = 0 no matter what capacitance is divide by the charge e.g. 0/2x10^-6F=0 or 0/5.3x10^-10F=0

Buggsy GC said:
since the capacitors are in series the current should be equal through out the circuit at each capacitor. also if you have told me that each capacitors charge is zero then to find the voltage I use the formula V=Q/C
but if Q = 0 won't that just mean all my voltage calculations will = 0 no matter what capacitance is divide by the charge e.g. 0/2x10^-6F=0 or 0/5.3x10^-10F=0
The INITIAL charge on the capacitors is zero. Then a voltage is applied and current (charge) flows. Then there is non-zero charge on the capacitors.

Since the current is the same in all the series capacitors, the amount of charge accumulated on the capacitors must be the same. We don't know what this charge is, just that it is the same on every capacitor. (I think this is the crucial point you need to understand here.)

Now think about Q=CV.
Q is the charge and is the same for each capacitor.
C is the capacitance and is different on each capacitor: some have higher capacitance, some lower.
If Q is constant, do the big capacitances need big voltages and little capacitors little voltages to make CxV constant? Or do Big capacitances need small voltages and little capacitances need big voltages to make CxV constant?

Later when you study AC circuits you will discover that smaller capacitors have a higher impedance than larger capacitors.

Merlin3189 said:
The INITIAL charge on the capacitors is zero. Then a voltage is applied and current (charge) flows. Then there is non-zero charge on the capacitors.

Since the current is the same in all the series capacitors, the amount of charge accumulated on the capacitors must be the same. We don't know what this charge is, just that it is the same on every capacitor. (I think this is the crucial point you need to understand here.)

Now think about Q=CV.
Q is the charge and is the same for each capacitor.
C is the capacitance and is different on each capacitor: some have higher capacitance, some lower.
If Q is constant, do the big capacitances need big voltages and little capacitors little voltages to make CxV constant? Or do Big capacitances need small voltages and little capacitances need big voltages to make CxV constant?
your right I did the calculation (I apologies for the late reply thinks have been busy lately) and little capaciors need big voltage across it to make CxV constant.
e.g.V=Q/C
2uF: 3/2x10^-6F=1.5x10^6 V
530pF: 3/5.3x10^-12F= 5.66x10^11V
so a much larger voltage is required for little capacitance capacitors to have constant charge with large capacitance capacitors.

At the risk of repetition consider that the whole arrangement ilustrated in your picture is overall electrically neutral. So positive charge on say the left plate of C1 is exactly equal to the negative charge on the far right plate of C4 (we suppose these connected to the terminals of a battery). Think too of a single charged capacitor – that too as well as overall neutral, is also locally as neutral as it can get. The positive charge is held opposite an equal negative charge separated by only a thin dielectric, a short distance. (The longer the distance the harder it is to hold the charge, the less is the capacitance as you may remember).

We already commented the equal charges on the exterior plates, now look at the interior ones of the -||- parts. These are initially neutral. They are conductively isolated and so always stay overall neutral. But the positive charge of the left plate of C1 holds facing it an equal negative charge on the right plate, that is it pulls electrons there. Which have been pulled away from the right-hand plate of the overall neutral -||- structure, so that one, which is the left hand plate of C2, gets the same charge though opposite sign as the right plate of C1 - and so the same charge and sign as the left plate of C1. And so on - all the capacitors in series have the same charge. The 2μF capacitor has the same charge as the 10μF capacitor. Same charge but a fifth of the capacitance, it must have five times more voltage across it.

Last edited:

Related to Why do weaker capacitors have the the largest voltage acros

1. Why do weaker capacitors have the largest voltage across?

The voltage across a capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance, which is a measure of its ability to store charge. Weaker capacitors have lower capacitance, meaning they can store less charge. Therefore, when the same amount of charge is applied to both a weaker and stronger capacitor, the weaker one will have a higher voltage across it.

2. How does the strength of a capacitor affect its voltage?

The strength of a capacitor, or its capacitance, is a determining factor in the voltage across it. A stronger capacitor can store more charge, so when the same amount of charge is applied, the voltage across it will be lower. Similarly, a weaker capacitor has lower capacitance and therefore a higher voltage across it when the same amount of charge is applied.

3. Can a capacitor with high voltage be considered stronger than one with lower voltage?

No, the voltage across a capacitor does not determine its strength. A capacitor's strength is determined by its capacitance, which is a measure of its ability to store charge. A capacitor with a higher capacitance can store more charge and is therefore considered stronger, regardless of the voltage across it.

4. Why is it important to consider voltage when choosing a capacitor?

Voltage is an important factor to consider when choosing a capacitor because it can affect the overall performance and lifespan of the capacitor. Capacitors with higher voltage ratings can handle larger amounts of charge and are more suitable for high voltage applications. Choosing the correct voltage rating for a capacitor ensures that it will function properly and not be damaged by excessive voltage.

5. How do weaker capacitors compare to stronger ones in terms of voltage handling capacity?

Weaker capacitors have lower capacitance and therefore can store and handle less charge compared to stronger capacitors. This means that weaker capacitors will have a lower voltage handling capacity. Stronger capacitors, with higher capacitance, can handle higher voltages without being damaged.