Why Do We Use the Indicial Equation for Coefficients in Bessel Equations?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the indicial equation to determine coefficients for solving Bessel equations. The indicial equation is obtained by taking out the first and second terms of the first sum in the equation. The values of n that satisfy the indicial equation, n=-1 and n=-2, correspond to the two solutions of the Bessel equation. The second solution can also be found using a procedure involving two functions, u and w, that satisfy the differential equation. However, this method is difficult to use and there may be other ways of finding the second solution.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my understanding of arriving at the coefficients of Bessel Equations? Namely, why do we use the indicial equation to determine coefficients?

As an example, if we have to solve $$s^2 \alpha'' + 2 s \alpha ' - \frac{1}{4} \gamma^2 s^2 \alpha = 0$$ we gues a solution as $$\alpha(s) = \sum_{k=0} a_k s^{n+k}$$

Plugging this guess into the above ode yields $$\sum_{k=0} a_k (n+k)(n+k+1) s^{n+k} - \frac{1}{4} \gamma^2 \sum_{k=2} a_{k-2} s^{n+k} = 0$$

Now for solving this, I know we let ##k=0 \implies n(n+1) = 0## but what about when ##k=1##? Can someone help me know why we look only at the indicial equation? I can provide more work if you need it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Its not about looking at a particular k. The point is, the two sums don't have a common starting point so we take out the k=0 and k=1 parts of the first sum. Now we can have one sum and some other terms. Those other terms are called the indicial equation. Here the indicial equation is [itex] a_0 n(n+1) s^n+a_1 (n+1)(n+2) s^{n+1} =0 [/itex] and because different powers of s are independent, we'll have [itex] n(n+1)=0 [/itex] and [itex] (n+1)(n+2)=0 [/itex]. But these two equations are satisfied at the same time only when [itex] n=-1 [/itex].

Last edited:
How do they tell us the same thing? One implies ##n=0,-1## and the other says ##n=-1,-2##.

Thanks for the fast response!

Yeah, that was a mistake. I corrected it. Both should be satisfied at the same time, so [itex]n=-1[/itex].

But my work leads me to believe we need both ##n=-1## and ##n=0## regardless of the fact that ##n=0## does not solve the second equation. Also, this is what leads to a pair of solutions. If we only use ##n=-1## then we only have one equation (I think of this as one Bessel Equation). To get the other we need the other piece, namely ##n=-1##.

joshmccraney said:
But my work leads me to believe we need both ##n=-1## and ##n=0## regardless of the fact that ##n=0## does not solve the second equation. Also, this is what leads to a pair of solutions. If we only use ##n=-1## then we only have one equation (I think of this as one Bessel Equation). To get the other we need the other piece, namely ##n=-1##.

If the other equation is not satisfied, the series is not a solution to the ODE! You want a solution, right?

Also I can ask, why [itex] n=0 [/itex] and not [itex] n=-2 [/itex]?

The second solution can be found by the following procedure:
Consider two functions u and w satisfying your differential equation.
[itex]
s^2 u''+2 s u'-\frac 1 4 g^2 s^2 u=0 \\
s^2 w''+2 s w'-\frac 1 4 g^2 s^2 w=0
[/itex]
Now I multiply first by w and second by u and subtract the second from the first to get:
[itex]
s^2(w u''-u w'')+2s(wu'-uw')=0 \Rightarrow \frac{d}{ds}[s^2(wu'-uw')]=0 \\ \Rightarrow s^2(wu'-uw')=C_1 \Rightarrow \frac{wu'-uw'}{w^2}=\frac{C_1}{s^2 w^2} \Rightarrow d(\frac{u}{w})=\frac{C_1}{s^2 w^2} ds \\ \Rightarrow u=C_2 w+C_1 w \int \frac{ds}{s^2 w^2}
[/itex]
Clearly u is linearly independent of w and so is the second solution we were seeking. So you can build a solution using [itex] n=-1[/itex] and then use it and the above result to build the second solution. I should say the above result is usually hard to use and so its just for proving that given a solution, there always exist a linearly independent solution from it. So there should be other ways for finding that second solution which you should find in texts about this particular ODE.

Likes member 428835
Are you serious? That's crazy! Like I follow you all the way but I would never dream of concluding the way you did. That's brilliant! But why is this hard to use (or do you mean generally it is difficult, but here given this ODE we got lucky)?

And I have no idea why ##n=0,-1## works and not ##n=-2##. To be honest, I haven't tried ##n=-2##; perhaps it's a linear combination of ##n=0,-1##? Your thoughts?

Thanks for posting (and if you could, do you mind responding to both of my questions above?

I was missing something that showed up in the calculations I did.
At first, you have only one choice:[itex] n=-1 [/itex].
The recurrence relation will be [itex] a_k=\frac{\gamma^2}{4k(k-1)} a_{k-2} [/itex].
Starting from k=0, you'll get a series with even powers of s and starting from k=1, you'll get a series with odd powers of s and these two series are obviously linearly independent and so you have two solutions with two unknowns([itex] a_0 [/itex] and [itex] a_1 [/itex]), as expected.

You mean starting with ##k \geq 2##? Thanks a ton for the help!

Yes!

Related to Why Do We Use the Indicial Equation for Coefficients in Bessel Equations?

1. What are Bessel Functions?

Bessel functions, also known as cylindrical functions, are a type of special mathematical function that arise in many physical and engineering problems. They were named after German mathematician Friedrich Bessel and have applications in fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetics.

2. What is the mathematical representation of Bessel Functions?

Bessel functions are represented by the letter J and come in various orders, denoted by a subscript. For example, J0 is the Bessel function of order 0 and J1 is the Bessel function of order 1. The mathematical formula for these functions involves an integral or series, depending on the order.

3. What are the properties of Bessel Functions?

Bessel functions have several important properties, including orthogonality, recurrence relations, and asymptotic behavior. They also have a unique property known as Bessel's equation, which is a second-order differential equation that describes their behavior in physical systems.

4. How are Bessel Functions used in real-world applications?

Bessel functions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They are commonly used in signal processing to analyze and filter data, in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles, and in electromagnetics to model wave phenomena.

5. Are there variations of Bessel Functions?

Yes, there are several variations of Bessel functions, including modified Bessel functions, spherical Bessel functions, and Hankel functions. Each of these variations has its own unique properties and applications, making them useful in different areas of mathematics and science.