Why Do We Square Molarities in Free Energy Calculations for HCl Dilution?

To calculate ΔG, the equation is ΔG = RTln(Q), where Q is the reaction quotient, and for a dilution, Q = (second molarity/first molarity)^2. This is because the reaction is HCl (aq) --> H+ (aq) + Cl- (aq), and the molarities of H+ and Cl- are equal, so when you square them, you get (H+ molarity)^2 = (Cl- molarity)^2. This is why the molarities are put to the power of 2 in the equation for ΔG.
salman213
Calculate ΔG for the dilution of aqueous HCl from 0.89 M to 0.253 M at 25°C.

THis was a question I had to do some time earlier for one of my assignments. I got some help from a classmate and he said THE FOLLOWING:

"H+ and Cl- are equimolar so you have to put them to the
power of two...

so the equation reads
Deltag = RTln Q
delta g = 8.314472J/K/mol*298.15K * 1kJ/1000J *ln (second
molarity^2/first molarity^2)"

WHEN he says EQUIMOLAR how do i find this out like i have no idea how he figured that out. If i did this question i would just do products over reactions to find the value of Q.

But he says put them to power of 2. WHY?? Can someone explain?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
HCl is a strong acid and therefore completely disassociates in water. Therefore, whatever the molarity of HCl = molarity of H+ = molarity of Cl-

Hence equimolar

Last edited:

Equimolar means that the concentrations of both H+ and Cl- ions are equal in the solution. In this case, the initial concentration of HCl is 0.89 M, which means that the concentration of H+ ions is also 0.89 M and the concentration of Cl- ions is also 0.89 M. When the solution is diluted to a final concentration of 0.253 M, the concentration of H+ ions and Cl- ions will also be equal, as they are in an equimolar ratio in HCl.

The reason why we need to raise the molarities to the power of 2 is because of the stoichiometry of the reaction. The dilution of HCl can be represented by the following equation:

HCl (aq) ⇌ H+ (aq) + Cl- (aq)

According to the stoichiometry of this reaction, for every 1 mole of HCl that is diluted, 1 mole of H+ ions and 1 mole of Cl- ions are formed. Therefore, when calculating the value of Q, we need to take into account the concentrations of both H+ and Cl- ions, which is why we raise the molarities to the power of 2.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify why we need to consider the equimolar concentrations and raise the molarities to the power of 2 when calculating the free energy of dilution for HCl.

Related to Why Do We Square Molarities in Free Energy Calculations for HCl Dilution?

1. What is the concept of free energy of dilution?

The free energy of dilution is a thermodynamic concept that refers to the amount of energy released or absorbed when a solution is diluted. It is a measure of the change in the system's energy due to the dilution process.

2. How is the free energy of dilution calculated?

The free energy of dilution is calculated using the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔG is the change in free energy, ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy. This equation takes into account both the change in energy and disorder of the system during dilution.

3. What factors affect the free energy of dilution?

The free energy of dilution is affected by the concentration of the solution, the temperature, and the nature of the solute and solvent. Higher concentrations and higher temperatures tend to increase the free energy of dilution, while an increase in the number of particles in solution (such as through the addition of a solute) can decrease the free energy of dilution.

4. How does the free energy of dilution relate to the spontaneity of a process?

The free energy of dilution is a measure of the spontaneity of a process. If the free energy of dilution is negative, it means that the process is spontaneous and will occur without the input of external energy. On the other hand, a positive free energy of dilution indicates that the process is non-spontaneous and will not occur without the input of energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of the free energy of dilution?

The concept of free energy of dilution has many practical applications, such as in the design of batteries, desalination processes, and biochemical reactions. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals and food and beverage production to understand and optimize the dilution processes involved in their products.