Why do we need to square the separation in Coulomb's experiment?

In summary, the Coulomb experiment using a torsion balance shows that the electrical force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the separation between them. This is because when measuring the force as a function of distance or charge, it is proportional to 1/r^2 and q respectively, which matches with reality. Further information can be found in the article "Inverse-square law" on Wikipedia.
shio
Coulomb experiment torsion balance.

I know that electrical force is inversely to the square of the separation r ...My question is why we take r square? why we need square? And another question, why Q1Q2(multiplication of charges) is proportional to electrical force? (why we need to multiply them?) I know it sounds like silly question..but I really want to know (my teacher didn't tell me anything .he told me "just remember the formula" )

Thank you in advance! :D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is because if we measure the force as a function of distance it is proportional to 1/r^2. Similarly if we measure the force as a function of charge it is proportional to q. Since we want the equations to match reality, that's what they look like.

Related to Why do we need to square the separation in Coulomb's experiment?

1. What is the Coulomb experiment?

The Coulomb experiment is an experiment conducted by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in the 18th century to study the force between two electrically charged objects. It was a significant contribution to the field of electromagnetism and helped establish the principle of electrostatics.

2. How does the Coulomb experiment work?

The Coulomb experiment involves suspending two charged objects, usually metal spheres, from a thin thread and measuring the angle of deflection between them. By varying the distance and charge of the objects, Coulomb was able to determine the mathematical relationship between the force of attraction or repulsion and the distance and charge of the objects.

3. What were the results of the Coulomb experiment?

The results of the Coulomb experiment showed that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is known as Coulomb's Law and is an important principle in electromagnetism.

4. How did the Coulomb experiment impact the field of science?

The Coulomb experiment was a groundbreaking study in the field of electromagnetism and helped establish the fundamental principles of electrostatics. It also paved the way for further research in the field and contributed to the development of modern technology, such as electricity and magnetism.

5. Can the Coulomb experiment be replicated today?

Yes, the Coulomb experiment can be replicated today using modern equipment and techniques. In fact, it is a common experiment conducted in physics laboratories to demonstrate Coulomb's Law and its applications in electromagnetism. The experiment has been refined and expanded upon over the years, but the basic principles and results remain the same.