Why do we need to know the value of 'g' to such accuracy?

In summary: However, the actual acceleration of free fall at Earth's surface varies by around 0.7% from ɡ0, depending on factors such as latitude, altitude, and local geology. In summary, the value of g, or the acceleration due to gravity, has been determined to be 9.80665 m/s2 by the 3rd CGPM in 1901. This value is a nominal midrange value based on the acceleration of a body in free fall at sea level at a geodetic latitude of 45°. While the actual acceleration of free fall at Earth's surface varies by approximately 0.7%, knowing the precise value of g is necessary for calculations involving weight, time, and distance traveled.
Jon.G
I was looking through a textbook, and read that the value of g was determined to be exactly 9.80665 ms-2.
I just started wondering why do we need to know it to that accuracy? Was it necessary for certain experiments? Or did people just want to know?

Then I started to think about why we might need to know the value of g, and I was quite surprised when I couldn't really think of anything. What are the applications of knowing the value of g?
My first thought was that of rockets etc. but then as their altitude increases, g will vary, so knowing the value at ground/sea level will not be the whole story.

:) Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let a block of mass 1kg,be at 1m from sea level,And assume that g is ##10m/s^2##
Weight of the block is found as ##weight=mass*g##
So,Weight=10N,
If the value of g is given as 9.8,Weight is 9.8N
If it is 9.80665,Weight is calculated as 9.80665.
g is also necessary for calculating the time taken for the fall,Distance traveled etc...
So the more accurate the value of g,the more accurate the calculation.

Jon.G said:
I was looking through a textbook, and read that the value of g was determined to be exactly 9.80665 ms-2.
The value of g has not been determined to be exactly 9.80665 m/s2.

That is the defined value.

There is no one value for g that applies worldwide. The value varies with latitude, altitude, and the makeup of the stuff underfoot. The acceleration due to gravity in Mexico City is 9.776 m/s2. In Oslo, Norway it's about half a percent higher, 9.825 m/s2.

Jon.G said:
Then I started to think about why we might need to know the value of g, and I was quite surprised when I couldn't really think of anything.
One use is in US customary units. We have a pound mass and a pound force. The pound force is exactly that needed to make an object with a mass of one pound accelerate at 9.80665 m/s2.

Another use is in a metric unit that is deprecated but nonetheless is widely used in some engineering domains. The same factors that drive some engineers in the US to use pounds mass and pounds force drive their non-US counterparts to use the kilogram and kilogram-force. The kilogram-force is exactly that needed to make a one kilogram object accelerate at 9.80665 m/s2.

Gravity surveys especially in mineral exploration requires g to me measured accurately in order to detect the small gravity anomalies caused by density variations.
Sent from my iPad using Physics Forums

Even more amazing, most of the 'known' bathymetry of the ocean floors is inverted from gravity surveys.

Does anyone know how that number was decided, since it wouldn't be measured to be
9.80665 m/s2 almost anywhere on Earth? If it is the result of a measurement, I want to go there so I'll know how fast I would fall.

Well, according to Wikipedia:

Standard gravity, or standard acceleration due to free fall, usually denoted by ɡ0 or ɡn, is the nominal gravitational acceleration of an object in a vacuum near the surface of the Earth. It is defined by standard as exactly 9.80665 m/s2, or about 35.30394 (km/h)/s (≈32.174 ft/s2 or ≈21.937 mph/s). This value was established by the 3rd CGPM (1901, CR 70) and used to define the standard weight of an object as the product of its mass and this nominal acceleration...

The value of ɡ0 defined above is a nominal midrange value on Earth, originally based on the acceleration of a body in free fall at sea level at a geodetic latitude of 45°.

1. Why is it important to know the value of 'g' to such accuracy?

Knowing the value of 'g' to high accuracy is crucial in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and make precise calculations for experiments and real-world applications.

2. How is the value of 'g' determined with such precision?

The value of 'g' is determined by conducting experiments, such as measuring the acceleration of objects in free fall, using precision instruments like pendulums and gravimeters. Satellite data is also used to measure 'g' on a global scale.

3. Can the value of 'g' vary in different locations on Earth?

Yes, the value of 'g' can vary at different locations on Earth due to factors such as the shape and density of the Earth, the rotation of the Earth, and local topography. These variations can be measured and accounted for in scientific calculations.

4. How does knowing the value of 'g' benefit our daily lives?

Many everyday objects and activities rely on our understanding of 'g', such as building structures that can withstand gravitational forces, designing vehicles that can move efficiently, and determining the weight of objects. Accurate knowledge of 'g' also helps us navigate using GPS systems and predict weather patterns.

5. Can the value of 'g' change over time?

The value of 'g' is relatively constant on Earth, but it can change over time due to factors such as tectonic plate movement, climate change, and the redistribution of mass within the Earth. However, these changes are very small and are not significant for most scientific calculations.