Why do we have Newton's first law

In summary: The law states that if there is no external force acting on an object, it will continue to move at the same speed and in the same direction. Newton's first law is a generalization of this idea. He studied motion and how objects move under the influence of forces. He found that if there is no external force, the object will keep moving in a straight line at a constant speed.
Quantum Velocity
Hey guy!
I know how Newton's first law said but i can't understand why.
So can you pleas help and tell me why.
Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
What do you accept as an answer? Newton's first law says, if nothing happens, then everything stays as it is. Shouldn't it be far more questionable, if this was not the case?

Likes russ_watters
Why is if nothing happens, then everything stays as it is

Quantum Velocity said:
I don't think science can answer a "why" question, but I don't think I'd want to live in a universe where things happened for no reason!

Quantum Velocity said:
Isn't this your daily experience? There is no answer as to "why" questions. Therefore I asked you on which basis you would accept an answer. You have to define first, what is acceptable and what is not. I assume it wouldn't satisfy you if I said: "Because it's how universe is built." So what to use instead as common basis?
Have a look:

Quantum Velocity said:
A pre-Newtonian idea might be that in the absence of external influences, all objects come to rest. Newton's first law says that this is not so. If you look closely, when something comes to rest it is the result of the action of an external force. Remove that force and the object keeps moving.

Last edited:
Likes LLT71 and russ_watters
As fresh_42 said: "Therefore I asked you on which basis you would accept an answer."

I think i want a simple but not too simple answer like: "Because it's how universe is built."

And the video you show me, it was verry useful. Thank!

Quantum Velocity said:
but not too simple answer like: "Because it's how universe is built."

Well, most of the "why?" questions sooner or later will end up with that answer...

Ha! Nice one!

A less "final" answer could be: It is due to observations and the way we describe things like action or motion, or in general the change of states. And every time something changes as @jbriggs444 has mentioned, there can be observed a force: friction, air resistance or a direct push. Removing these forces leads to a static system (in the sense that differentiating along time equals zero). So Newton's laws are careful observations expressed in the physical, resp. mathematical language we use to describe observations.

Why do we have it? Because that's what scientists do, they observe and try to find a pattern. It might well be that he wasn't the first one to observe these laws, but it happened that the constellation of historic era (at the end of renaissance and the beginning of the age of enlightenment), global context (Europe), human cultural development (Latin as language of science, long enough after Gutenberg) as well as the personal situation of Newton (royal astrologist) allowed him to observe it and write it down and be read by others of his time.

Quantum Velocity said:
Hey guy!
So can you pleas help and tell me why.
Thank you!

You picked out the first law only does that mean you understand the second law? If so you can imagine the first law as a special case of the second law:

When the resultant force (F) is zero the acceleration (a) must be zero. If the object is not accelerating it must be at rest or moving with a constant velocity (moving in a straight line and at steady speed).

I've been watching The Mechanical Universe lately, and have found it really good. Maybe this episode will interest you.

It has a lot of historical context that explains where the first law of Newton comes from.

Likes Quantum Velocity

Related to Why do we have Newton's first law

1. Why is Newton's first law important?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, is important because it explains the fundamental concept of motion. It states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How did Newton discover the first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion was first described in his book "Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy" in 1687. He came up with this law after observing the behavior of objects in motion and conducting various experiments.

3. What does Newton's first law mean in practical terms?

In practical terms, Newton's first law means that objects tend to resist changes in their state of motion. This means that if an object is at rest, it will remain at rest unless a force is applied to it. Similarly, if an object is in motion, it will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does Newton's first law relate to other laws of motion?

Newton's first law is the basis for understanding the other two laws of motion. It explains the concept of inertia, which is necessary for understanding the second law of motion. It also sets the foundation for the third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. Why is Newton's first law also called the law of inertia?

The first law of motion is also known as the law of inertia because it describes how objects have a tendency to maintain their state of motion. Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its motion, and this law explains that objects will continue to have the same velocity unless acted upon by an external force.