The Science Behind Menstrual Cramps: Understanding the Role of Prostaglandins

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle
In summary, acetaminophen overdose occurs more than any other pharmacologic substance, acetaminophen poisoning can lead to liver failure, and acetaminophen can be prevented from causing liver toxicity by taking it with N-acetyl cysteine.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For the ladies: monthly cycle :)

I wonder if this topic will catch on in a male dominated forum, but worth the try :)

I actually just found out what the cause is of those very annoying cramps and why women can get sick when their period starts, I thought it is an interesting point to be made.

I once stayed over at a friend's house, when all of a sudden the cramps started to kick in. From experience I know I have to take some painkiller soon, otherwise I'll get really sick: diarrhea, nausea, sweating, to the point I almost faint. Ofcourse, it was a male friend who didn't have any painkillers and I didn't have anyone me, so I convinced him to drive as fast as he could to a nearby farmacy. I must've scared the crap out of him, since I was about to pass out in the store! At that point I was really sick, took a shot of Tylenol, recouperated by lying completely still for half an hour, after which all symptoms had disappeared and I could've played a competitive game of soccer, so to speak.

It always amazed me that Tylenol is able to reverse the sympoms like that, and I thought it was just the severity of the pain which was causing some kind of shock.

Turns out that the cramps are caused by the overproduction of prostaglandins (or an oversensitivity to it) which induces the uterus to contract. Drugs that inhibit the release of prostaglandins thus reduce the symptoms. Drugs in that category are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, more commonly known as: ibuprofen (Motrin,
Rufen, etc.), naproxen (Naprosyn), and mefenamic acid (Ponstel).

Tylenol is probably less effective since it is in a different drug category, but it works fine for me (it has less side-effects than those other drugs).

More info on: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00004.html

So guys, be a little more understanding, it really is a nuisance for women.. although I HAVE to apologize for all the times we aim our frustrations at men when they really are innocent bystanders ;P

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I discovered with an ex-girlfriend that a gentle belly-rub can help. Maybe not everyone, but it worked for her.

Originally posted by Adam
I discovered with an ex-girlfriend that a gentle belly-rub can help. Maybe not everyone, but it worked for her.

If a male wants to truly know what this feels like, he can take a shot of PGF2A. It is protaglandins and will cause the same symptoms for about 30 minutes. Hot flashes, sweats, cramps, diarrea, ect...

Nautica

I think they should if menstrual cramps can already be that bad, I am afraid what the labour cramps are going to feel like

lol, I've been doing some reading of men using prostagladin for bodybuilding.. their experience:

My GOD was the pain intense! I couldn't walk for 30 minutes, Breathing was labored, lips completely numb, mucous in my throat, and when the diarrhea came, I had to crawl to the bathroom. I was laughing and wanting to cry at the same time, but I made it(barely)!
Is PGF2A safe? The answer is clearly no.
The cardinal rule of PGF2A is to inject as far away as possible from the intestines, PGF2A induces a very strong contraction of the intestine and the bladder (both smooth muscles).
And they don't even have a uterus, which is a muscle and which produces that stuff naturally!

[q]Tylenol is probably less effective since it is in a different drug category, but it works fine for me (it has less side-effects than those other drugs).
[/q]

A friend of mine used to do research into the effects of chemical weapons. He was determining safe procedures for destroying them. He would gleefully recite all the horrible things that tiny amounts can do without a trace of fear. He once saw that we kept Tylenol in our medicine cabinet. He freaked out and went on and on about how toxic it was.

I have had quite a few medical people tell me that the only ones who should take Tylenol are, ironically, children and pregnant women. It is damaging to the liver, but, does not cause Rhies' syndrome nor penetrate the placenta.

Njorl

You are right, Tylenol becomes toxic to the liver very soon at the doses that we are taking it. But a normal dose of Tylenol is 500 mg, I would never go above 1000 mg, or use it repeatedly on the same day.

Especially in combination with alcohol the liver becomes more sensitive.

I recently attended a lecture of Acetaminophen (used in Tylenol), some facts:

Acetaminophen overdose occurs more than any other pharmacologic substance. 35% of cases of sever liver failure are caused by acetaminophen poisoning.

But this chemical N-acetyl cysteine is added to acetaminophen, which is said to prevent liver toxicity.

Originally posted by Monique
lol, I've been doing some reading of men using prostagladin for bodybuilding.. their experience:

And they don't even have a uterus, which is a muscle and which produces that stuff naturally!

It is a thing of the past now. Some idiots still try to experiment with it, but most have found that it is not worth the pain. For it to work, they would have to shoot it 4 or 5 times a day, and each time it is would mean cramps for at least 30 minutes and a restroom would have to be within crawling distance.

Nautica

How do you take a shot of PGF2A? Do you drink it or is it Injected?

PGF2A stimulates smooth muscle contraction, would you want to have that in your stomach why doesn't it have a reported effect on the heart rhythm btw? *edit* because the heart doesn't have smooth muscle :)

Last edited:

Acetaminophen overdose occurs more than any other pharmacologic substance. 35% of cases of sever liver failure are caused by acetaminophen poisoning.

But this chemical N-acetyl cysteine is added to acetaminophen, which is said to prevent liver toxicity.

Do you now how long until the onset of symptoms? I once had a the worlds worst toothache for several days before I could get to a dentist (I mean this was bad, I'd rather have cramps, give birth, pass a kidney stone, and break every bone in my body than go throught that again). I figured since I'm 280 pounds (6'6" all muscle, wink wink) I could excede the recommended dosage. But I just couldn't stop myself from taking more and more painkillers (my own pain induced cocktail of acetylsailic acid, acetominophen, and naproxen) even though I knew I could end up damaging my liver. I didn't think a doctor in the ER would have prescribed me hydrocodone or something, although in retrospect I should have probably tried.

All though let me tell you, when the dentist first shot me up with novocaine it was the single greatest sense of drug induced euphoria I've ever felt.

Bad bad idea to mix different painkillers (who knows how they'll interact), I would've only taken ibuprofin to ease the pain of a toothache. I don't really have a medical background, but I don't think that asprins and tylenols really were a good choice.

As for the onset of symptoms, it all depends on how much you took and spread over how much time. Apparently you didn't go through extensive liver damage, you would've experienced nausea, vomiting, jaundice.

But it is like drinking a lot of alcohol, you don't notice your liver is being damaged. It is a cumulative effect, after enough damage is done over the years symptoms start to occur.

So I wouldn't be too worried, just be carefull in the future with taking medications.

The maximum dosage spread over a day for acetaminophen is 4g, normally I would recommend staying away from a maximal dosage, but since you are above average weight, this might still've been a safe range. Just keep in mind that a dosage needs to be spread through time.

I wonder if this topic will catch on in a male dominated forum, but worth the try :)

I actually just found out what the cause is of those very annoying cramps and why women can get sick when their period starts, I thought it is an interesting point to be made.

I once stayed over at a friend's house, when all of a sudden the cramps started to kick in. From experience I know I have to take some painkiller soon, otherwise I'll get really sick: diarrhea, nausea, sweating, to the point I almost faint. Ofcourse, it was a male friend who didn't have any painkillers and I didn't have anyone me, so I convinced him to drive as fast as he could to a nearby farmacy. I must've scared the crap out of him, since I was about to pass out in the store! At that point I was really sick, took a shot of Tylenol, recouperated by lying completely still for half an hour, after which all symptoms had disappeared and I could've played a competitive game of soccer, so to speak.

It always amazed me that Tylenol is able to reverse the sympoms like that, and I thought it was just the severity of the pain which was causing some kind of shock.

Turns out that the cramps are caused by the overproduction of prostaglandins (or an oversensitivity to it) which induces the uterus to contract. Drugs that inhibit the release of prostaglandins thus reduce the symptoms. Drugs in that category are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, more commonly known as: ibuprofen (Motrin,
Rufen, etc.), naproxen (Naprosyn), and mefenamic acid (Ponstel).

Tylenol is probably less effective since it is in a different drug category, but it works fine for me (it has less side-effects than those other drugs).

More info on: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00004.html

So guys, be a little more understanding, it really is a nuisance for women.. although I HAVE to apologize for all the times we aim our frustrations at men when they really are innocent bystanders ;P

Do males also have a similar situation? Because often I feel exactly like that too.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Do males also have a similar situation? Because often I feel exactly like that too.
Obviously men don't have a uterus but I guess it is an interesting question, since prostagladins are produced by a variety of tissues, maybe also in men? Don't know, really.

But I'll tell you Prudens, I'm sure you've never felt like THAT before, which 1 in 10 women DO

Obviously men don't have a uterus but I guess it is an interesting question, since prostagladins are produced by a variety of tissues, maybe also in men? Don't know, really.

But I'll tell you Prudens, I'm sure you've never felt like THAT before, which 1 in 10 women DO

:( You think I'm changed sex. [b(]

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
:( You think I'm changed sex. [b(]
I think what?

We don't have time to feel like that, we are out hunting meat for dinner.

"It's time to put the women and children to bed and go looking for dinner"

Nautica

Hmmm now you all have me wondering exactly how bad Tylenol is...

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Lets put it this way, not to be used to cure 'hangovers' but apparently it is a good painkiller...used "Aspirin" (ASA) for some of my 'pains' (Mostly hangovers from my alcoholic days) in life...works well, for me...

As for labor cramping, no experience but I have heard testimony from both men and women concerning kidney stones, both attested to the "excruciating pain" with the Women admitting that it was worse then labor, so seems men can tolerate pain(s) kinda good too (sometimes)...

Originally posted by chroot

- Warren

The government makes companies put tylenol in pain meds. It is a way of keeping people from misusing the drug. The problem is that people who are addicted to pain meds, continue to take the drug, and while the pain med itself does not hurt the patient, the tylenol shuts down their liver. (When I say pain meds, I am referring to hydrocodones,oxycodones, vicondin, lorcet, ect...)

Thank God we have our governments to look over us.

Nautica

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
As for labor cramping, no experience but I have heard testimony from both men and women concerning kidney stones, both attested to the "excruciating pain" with the Women admitting that it was worse then labor, so seems men can tolerate pain(s) kinda good too (sometimes)...
You are forgetting that women don't accurately remember the pain of labor there must be some evolutionary reason behind that..

Originally posted by nautica
The government makes companies put tylenol in pain meds. It is a way of keeping people from misusing the drug. The problem is that people who are addicted to pain meds, continue to take the drug, and while the pain med itself does not hurt the patient, the tylenol shuts down their liver. (When I say pain meds, I am referring to hydrocodones,oxycodones, vicondin, lorcet, ect...)

Thank God we have our governments to look over us.

Nautica
Yeah, I'm familiar that Tylenol is often included alongside hydrocodone, etc., like Tylenol #3. Are you saying the reason tylenol is there is because it's toxic, and will make drug abusers wind up in the hospital with a failed liver?

- Warren

You are forgetting that women don't accurately remember the pain of labor there must be some evolutionary reason behind that..
Actually, I think that occurs in both sexes, as I do not specifically remember the 'Pain' of toothache, although I know/knew that I had it, and the intensity(ies) thereof...

(had two front teeth broken by a kick in the face...broke my nose too, but I cannot recreate the sensation of those pains, only imagined as it was, without the sensation)

Originally posted by nautica
The government makes companies put tylenol in pain meds.
Tylenol is just a brand name, I think the correct word to use is the compound acetaminophen that is added to other medications.

Robin, but women seem to forget the intensity of pain of labor, that's what I've heard at least. Right after birth they swear never ever to put themselves in such a situation, but this feeling disappears. Maybe it has something to do with the memory being selectively erased, I am not sure.

You'd have to ask a woman who actually went throught the process though :P

Tylenol is just a brand name, I think the correct word to use is the compound acetaminophen that is added to other medications.

Robin, but women seem to forget the intensity of pain of labor, that's what I've heard at least. Right after birth they swear never ever to put themselves in such a situation, but this feeling disappears. Maybe it has something to do with the memory being selectively erased, I am not sure.

Excuse me, I only used the term "tylenol" b/c it was what was being referred too in the earlier post. But I still stand by my statement.

Nautica

Tylenol is just a brand name, I think the correct word to use is the compound acetaminophen that is added to other medications. Yup far as I know too
Robin, but women seem to forget the intensity of pain of labor, that's what I've heard at least. Right after birth they swear never ever to put themselves in such a situation, but this feeling disappears. Maybe it has something to do with the memory being selectively erased, I am not sure. The joy of the child that follows perhaps..(only if that child is a 'joy')
God willing I might just do that, seems that I recall though that I had done that in the past in my life, they did remember the event, but like I had tried to state previously, they don't re-live (or re-experiance) the pain, in the remeberance of it...(I could suggest that maybe/perhaps it wasn't all "the pain" they cracked it up to be, but I enjoy living, so, **Ducks!**...and runs**)

Tylenol and N-acetyl-cysteine for anti-senescence

Monique said:
Part of this may be because acetaminophen is a popular choice as an active agent in suicidal overdose.

Ironically, acetaminophen is a famous prophylactic anti-senescence drug. Many inexpensive antioxidants are powerful liver protectants, so it can easily be made safe in most people to consume acetaminophen in moderate doses daily.

NAC is also https://www2.acadia.net/cgi-bin/BAC/web_store.cgi?product=Amino_Acids .
  • CYSTEINE, N-ACETYL- (NAC) is a sulfur-containing amino acid. A major constituent of hair, it is a potent antioxidant and an immune system stimulant. The N-Acetyl form is superior to regular L-cysteine and needs no supplemental Vit. C. It is extremely effective in detoxifying acetaldehyde found in cigarette smoke, alcohol, pollution, and Candida infection; and greatly enhances antioxidant glutathione production, (much more than taking glutathione itself!) which protects tissues (including the lens of the eye) from free radicals produced by pollution, UV radiation, and muscular exertion. Breaks up mucus in respiratory problems. Also protects against damage to mitochondrial DNA. Recent studies have shown NAC, as part of a weight training program, can prevent loss of muscle and decrease body fat. For optimal antioxidant protection, may be taken with *028 glutathione and adequate selenium. 180 capsules, 500mg, $14.50.

------------
  • CYSTEINE, N-ACETYL- (NAC), 100 grams powder, $9.50.

They call it 'ecstacy'; we call it 'Tylenol'

Monique said:
You can also call it paracetamol. Some dealers of pills at Rave dance functions call it "ecstacy."

Monique said:

I think that we aren't simply innocent bystanders, rather the cause (in a sense) of the attacks on us.
I think that the physical pain and discomfort is only a part of it, the driving cause is emotional.
My theory is that this goes way back in our evolutionary past.
When females are menstruating, not only will males be more ummmm... frisky, but women know that they are running a higher risk of pregnancy.
Males, being the aggressors, would be... well, aggressive and women would have to fight them off if they weren't interested.

I would love to do a study on primates to see if they experience PMS and, if so, whether or not it directed specifically at males or just radiates ourward at whomever is arond (I would also be curious about other species).

I have always thought that there is some hormone that is released which make women more aggressive and assertive and makes them more protective of their bodies when men are around.
Or perhaps, it is not specifically directed AT males, but the production of this hormone is amped up when males are around (maybe as a reaction to the male pheremones?).

Anyone know of any such study?
Does my hypothesis retain (oh, sorry, I meant hold:wink:) water?

In zoopharmacology it has been observed females in estrus going to certain trees or plants and eating of them, they were later checked and found to have had compounds that would have (it is "believed" or "known" I'm not certain, recollection at this moment) eased the pains...so primates do have the physical discomforts...

Last edited:
The Willow tree story

Mr. Robin Parsons said:
In zoopharmacology it has been observed females in estrus going to certain trees or plants and eating of them
...Also known as the Willow tree.

*bangs head on desk*
Sorry, but I need to correct some glaring errors above.
First, menstruation is not when women are most fertile, in fact, it is when they are least fertile. A full menstrual cycle is 28 days (on average). Menstruation begins on day 1, ovulation happens around day 14...about 3 days before to 3 days after ovulation is when women are most fertile (this relates to the length of time the oocyte is viable in the oviduct and the length of time sperm can survive in the reproductive tract). Under unusual circumstances (i.e., stress or after stopping taking birth control when the body is still "relearning" to regulate itself), it is possible that a woman can ovulate while menstruating, so that is why people are reminded it is not a "safe" time to engage in intercourse, but it is not the norm.

Now for the advanced lesson:
In animals, estrus is the period around ovulation defined by increased mating activity (non-primates don't mate when they are not near the time of ovulation, but will instead run away from or turn aggressive toward a male that attempts to mate). Non-primates don't menstruate. Since many people are aware of the discharge dogs have when in heat, you should know that is not menstruation. Menstruation is the flushing of the uterine lining that occurs when primates have not become pregnant, and the uterine lining regrows during the two weeks leading to ovulation. In dogs, the bleeding and discharge are from the cervix and serve to attract a mate and provide the same lubrication function that cervical mucous provides in women.

In animals that don't menstruate, there wouldn't be any menstrual cramping because there are no uterine contractions necessary to expel the lining. In most animals, it is simply resorbed by the body with no discharge. Cramping is due to the contraction of the uterus to expel the lining that is flushing out, which is facilitated by prostaglandins. However, prostaglandins serve another function at that time, which is to induce the "death" of the corpus luteum. When a woman ovulates, the cells that previously surrounded the ovum (follicles), transform into a structure called the corpus luteum that secretes progesterone. If the woman becomes pregnant, the progesterone produced by the corpus luteum helps maintain that pregnancy. If she doesn't become pregnant, then the corpus luteum needs to "die" to allow the new follicle to mature (progesterone inhibits follicle development and ovulation in women). Prostaglandin F2alpha is secreted by the uterus and targets the ovary to kill off the corpus luteum so the next follicle will develop. That time between the death of the corpus luteum, when progesterone concentrations drop very low, and until the new follicles start maturing and producing estrogens, is when menstruation occurs. The effects on mood are related to the very low concentrations of the ovarian steroids (progesterone and estradiol, which is an estrogen). The precise mechanism for that is not fully known, other than that neurons in the brain that contain receptors for estrogen are located in places that make them good candidates to modulate serotonin concentration (serotonin is the neurotransmitter implicated in depression). But that is a very oversimplified explanation.

To the question of whether other animals get PMS, since only primates menstruate, non-primates, by definition, can't get PMS. Except for the few days around estrus when females are willing to mate, they're pretty mean to the males anyway, so it may be that PMS is actually a shorter duration of aggression toward males in a species that relies on a long duration of paternal care for raising offspring than happens in species where the males take off as soon as mating is done. Then again... ;)

hitssquad said:
...Also known as the Willow tree.
Uhhmmmm NO not the one mentioned in the article I had read...not that I recall...

one_raven said:
I think that we aren't simply innocent bystanders, rather the cause (in a sense) of the attacks on us.
I think that the physical pain and discomfort is only a part of it, the driving cause is emotional.
My theory is that this goes way back in our evolutionary past.
When females are menstruating, not only will males be more ummmm... frisky, but women know that they are running a higher risk of pregnancy.
Males, being the aggressors, would be... well, aggressive and women would have to fight them off if they weren't interested.

I would love to do a study on primates to see if they experience PMS and, if so, whether or not it directed specifically at males or just radiates ourward at whomever is arond (I would also be curious about other species).

I have always thought that there is some hormone that is released which make women more aggressive and assertive and makes them more protective of their bodies when men are around.
Or perhaps, it is not specifically directed AT males, but the production of this hormone is amped up when males are around (maybe as a reaction to the male pheremones?).

Anyone know of any such study?
Does my hypothesis retain (oh, sorry, I meant hold:wink:) water?

One_raven,
I hope you don't rely on the rhythm method for birth control! Menstruation is one of the least likely times for a woman to get pregnant. I think if there is any good reason why some women get a little pissy (mind you, I said some because not all do), it would be because they are experiencing pain and discomfort. No one likes pain - you'd be irritable too.

Back