Why do we draw unbonded electrons in pairs?

• Thread starter Leoragon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the drawings you did are not accurate representations of the distribution of electrons in the molecule, but they are useful for keeping notes about the important things.
Leoragon
A little background: I'm only a high school student with some knowledge on Lewis dot structures. And I don't know much about the s orbitals or p orbitals or whatnot.

Why are there lone pairs? Shouldn't the electrons repel each other? Why do we draw them as pairs?

For example: carbon dioxide is drawn like this
CO222.png

Why don't we draw it like
CO22.png

or
CO2.png

or sulfur dioxide
SO2.png

Why not this?
SO22.png

Are the drawings just arbitrary and the original used for simplicity's sake?
Can all these drawings work?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Electrons couple spin-spin inside their orbitals - thus: they tend to pair up. Inside a molecule, electrons are not static charges so all the diagrams are incorrect. However, if you work out the relative frces in the different configurations you drew, you'll find your drawings have the higher potential energy.

It's only a notation - not an accurate representation of the distribution of electrons in the molecule.

Simon Bridge said:
Electrons couple spin-spin inside their orbitals - thus: they tend to pair up. Inside a molecule, electrons are not static charges so all the diagrams are incorrect. However, if you work out the relative frces in the different configurations you drew, you'll find your drawings have the higher potential energy.

It's only a notation - not an accurate representation of the distribution of electrons in the molecule.
I don't quite understand. I read http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physica...Quantum_Number_.26_(s.2C_p.2C_d.2C_f)_Orbital and to my understanding a pair of opposite spin electrons can occupy an orientation of an orbital? Is that why we say they are pairs?
So all those drawings are correct? I can draw that way if I wanted to?
Also, what notation would be an accurate representation?

Leoragon said:
A little background: I'm only a high school student with some knowledge on Lewis dot structures. And I don't know much about the s orbitals or p orbitals or whatnot.

Why are there lone pairs? Shouldn't the electrons repel each other? Why do we draw them as pairs?

For example: carbon dioxide is drawn like this
View attachment 82251
Why don't we draw it like
View attachment 82252
or
View attachment 82253

or sulfur dioxide
View attachment 82255
Why not this?
View attachment 82256

Are the drawings just arbitrary and the original used for simplicity's sake?
Can all these drawings work?
you can not do that,it is wrong.

At least for elements from the first period (Na - Ne), there are only four valence orbitals available 1 s and 3 p type orbitals. Taking oxygen in CO2 as an example, you can form two bonding orbitals with C and two anti-bonding orbitals, which are too high to be occupied. The bonding orbitals are filled with two electrons from C and two electrons from O. This leaves 4 electrons on O which have to be distributed among 2 remaining orbitals. As each orbital may contain at most 2 electrons with anti-parallel spin ("pairs"), the only possibility is to have two pairs at O while the structures you did draw aren't possible.

I don't quite understand. I read [chemwiki] and to my understanding a pair of opposite spin electrons can occupy an orientation of an orbital? Is that why we say they are pairs?
Yes. One spin up and one spin down.
This should hep you make sense of the convention in pairing up the dots. An unpaired dot would indicate would indicate an electron all by itself in the "orbital" - two unpaired dots would indicate that there are two different orbitals with only one electron in them.

So all those drawings are correct? I can draw that way if I wanted to?
Which way? You can draw them the way you did if you want to, and you don't care about other people being able to understand you, but the configuration is not as useful and it is not correct according to established conventions. Best to stick to the conventions.

Also, what notation would be an accurate representation?
There is no 100% accurate notation, it's a notation. It's just a way of keeping notes about what is important to you. When other things are important, you use a different notation. It's standardized because other people want to be able to read your notes.

As you advance in your studies you will probably get to learn more about the quantum mechanics behind these conventions and notations, and it will make more sense.

1. Why do we draw unbonded electrons in pairs?

When drawing Lewis dot structures, we use the convention of representing unbonded electrons as pairs because it reflects the actual distribution of electrons in an atom. Electrons are organized into orbitals, and each orbital can hold a maximum of two electrons. By drawing electrons in pairs, we are accurately representing the electron configuration of the atom.

2. Is it necessary to draw unbonded electrons in pairs?

Yes, it is necessary to draw unbonded electrons in pairs because it helps us to determine the number of valence electrons an atom has. Valence electrons play a crucial role in determining the chemical properties of an element, and drawing them in pairs allows us to easily identify the number of valence electrons and their distribution in an atom.

3. Can unbonded electrons be represented as single dots instead of pairs?

No, unbonded electrons should not be represented as single dots. As mentioned earlier, electrons have a specific distribution in orbitals, and it is not accurate to represent them as single dots. Additionally, drawing electrons in pairs helps us to easily visualize and understand the electron configuration of an atom.

4. How do unbonded electrons affect the overall stability of a molecule?

The presence of unbonded electrons can affect the stability of a molecule. Unbonded electrons are more reactive than bonded electrons, and they can participate in chemical reactions to form bonds with other atoms. This can lead to the formation of more stable molecules. Additionally, the distribution of unbonded electrons can also determine the shape and polarity of a molecule, which can also affect its stability.

5. Can unbonded electrons participate in bonding with other atoms?

Yes, unbonded electrons can participate in bonding with other atoms. These electrons have a high energy and are more likely to form bonds with other atoms in order to achieve a more stable electron configuration. This is known as covalent bonding, where the unbonded electrons are shared between atoms to form a stable molecule.