Why do we assume that the circulating pi electrons induce B

In summary, the lecture explains that the circulating pi electrons in benzene induce another magnetic field, B_in, that adds to the external magnetic field, B_ext, causing the protons to experience a greater effective field, B_eff. However, if the ring is flipped, B_in would oppose B_ext. The direction of the pi electron circulation is determined by the right hand rule and is not based on assumptions. The effect of the pi electrons on the protons can be seen in the deshielding or shielding of the protons, resulting in shifts in their resonances in NMR. This phenomenon is not limited to benzene and can also be observed in fullerene cages.
FTNMR
Why do we assume that the circulating pi electrons induces another magnetic field, B_in, that adds to the external mag field, B_ext, instead of opposing B_ext? Couldnt the pi electrons just as easily oppose B_ext?

This lecture says the protons on benzene will experience greater effectual field, B_eff, because the circulating pi electrons induces another field that adds to the B_ext.
But if ring is flipped, then wouldn't that mean that B_in then opposes B_ext.. Also what if pi electrons circulate other direction? then according to RHR B_in would again oppose B_ext.

Im wondering if this has something to do with the fact that I am looking at this in 2 dimensions.. maybe not important idk..
Thanks for any explanation or help

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well I'm thinking: an opposing field with be an extra negative field.
Do the pi electrons ever circulate to oppose the external field? i.e. if you flipped the ring, would the pi electrons start circulating the other way?
i.e. what makes them circulate?

is it the actual external mag field that causes the circulation to begin with? If it does then I think I am starting to understand, but if not then I think I am more confused. please answer again, thanks

OK i think it is the field that causes the pi electrons to circulate to begin with..so whether it opposes or adds to external field is just the right hand rule then.. is that correct understanding?

You "think"? You should go to your notes and check. I'm just asking you questions.

Just checking - it looks to me like a QM effect similar to Larmor precession.
Looking at something like ethyne - you can think of the atoms all lined up along the z-axis, but there is an ambiguity to how the triple bond electrons are oriented ... the time-average will be something like a cylinder. That should start you off ... or you can just use the result.

i.e. you are not "assuming" the result, it is the result because someone looked and discovered it.
Just like you don't assume that the Sun is a big ball of burning gas a long way away.
All the QM explanation will do is provide a math model for the result.

Whether the field increases or decreases depends on the position of the protons. There are some exotic aromatic compounds where one proton points inside the ring instead of outside and the field they feel is decreased instead of increased.

"Position of protons"? "... proton points..."?
Is this chemistry talk?

Guessing: location of atom in the molecule, and orientation direction of the nuclear magnetic moment?

It would be interesting to get some more information on the application. Is this perhaps an MRI (NMR) and the proton experiences a shift in the nuclear resonant frequency (at which r-f absorption takes place) from that of a bare proton because of local molecular magnetic fields(from the pi electrons) that add to the applied (static) magnetic field? It appears the subject might be chemical shifts in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. A google of the topic shows quite a lot of studies have been done for the shifts found for various substances.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
"Position of protons"? "... proton points..."?
Is this chemistry talk?
Well, 1H-NMR talk, to be precise.

DrDu said:
Whether the field increases or decreases depends on the position of the protons. There are some exotic aromatic compounds where one proton points inside the ring instead of outside and the field they feel is decreased instead of increased.

Shameless self-advertisement (from my bygone days as a fullerene chemist): http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja901383r

Whereas in benzene, the circulation of the pi electrons acts to deshield the protons, shifting their resonances downfield, in this case, the circulation of the pi electrons on the fullerene cage shields the methane protons (and the 13C nucleus) inside the fullerene, shifting their resonances upfield by a large amount (##\delta_H = -12.32## ppm and ##\delta_C = -20.62## ppm in case you don't have access to the paper). You see the same effect when H2, H2O, and NH3 are put into fullerenes.

Likes Charles Link

Related to Why do we assume that the circulating pi electrons induce B

1. Why do we assume that the circulating pi electrons induce B?

The assumption that circulating pi electrons induce B is based on the concept of magnetic fields and electromagnetic induction. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field in the surrounding space. Similarly, when pi electrons circulate in a molecule, they create a magnetic field that can induce a magnetic field in a nearby molecule or atom. This induction of magnetic fields is observed as the phenomenon of paramagnetism, which provides evidence for the existence of circulating pi electrons.

2. What is the evidence for the existence of circulating pi electrons?

The evidence for the existence of circulating pi electrons comes from various experimental techniques such as electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and magnetic susceptibility measurements. These techniques all show that molecules with delocalized pi electrons exhibit paramagnetism, which is a direct result of the circulating pi electrons inducing a magnetic field.

3. Can pi electrons in all molecules induce B?

No, not all molecules have delocalized pi electrons that can induce a magnetic field. Only molecules with conjugated systems, such as benzene and other aromatic compounds, have the necessary delocalized pi electrons to induce a magnetic field. Molecules with single or double bonds do not have this capability.

4. How does the number of pi electrons affect the strength of B induction?

The strength of B induction is directly proportional to the number of pi electrons in a molecule. This means that the more pi electrons a molecule has, the stronger the induced magnetic field will be. This relationship is a fundamental concept in understanding and predicting the properties of molecules with delocalized pi electrons.

5. Is the assumption of circulating pi electrons always accurate?

While the assumption of circulating pi electrons is a widely accepted concept, it is not always accurate. In some cases, other factors such as steric hindrance or electron-electron repulsion can affect the delocalization of pi electrons and therefore, the induction of a magnetic field. Additionally, the precise movement of pi electrons in a molecule is often complex and cannot always be accurately predicted. However, the assumption of circulating pi electrons is a useful concept in understanding the behavior of molecules with delocalized pi electrons.