Why Do TV Cables Use 75 Ohm Impedance?

In summary, the conversation discusses how a trade-off between loss and flexibility exists when considering the optimal impedance for a fixed coaxial cable. The minimum loss is found to be around 77 ohms, which may vary depending on the dielectric type. The use of foam polyethylene dielectric is recommended for lower loss. Additionally, it is noted that the impedance of a dipole is around 73 ohms, making 75 ohms a more practical choice for impedance.
freydawg56
we learned it could be a trade off between loss and flexibility. Because if it was around 50 ohms or so it would be too thick of a wire.

and the we learned the minimum loss is around about 77 ohms.

What do you guys think.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Many years ago I recall calculating the optimum impedance and found ~77 ohms to be lowest attenuation for a fixed coax OD and dielectric type (solid, foam, etc.). The minimum attenuation impedance may depend on the propagation velocity (i.e., dielectric type). As I recall, at other impedances the skin effect losses on the center conductor were higher. Foam polyethylene dielectric is better than solid. See

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=14693

Bob S

The real reason is that 75 ohms is closer to the real part of the impedance of a dipole at around 73 ohms.

Related to Why Do TV Cables Use 75 Ohm Impedance?

1. Why is 75 ohms the standard for TV cables?

The 75 ohm impedance was chosen as the standard for TV cables because it provides optimal signal transmission and minimizes interference. This value was determined through extensive testing and research to provide the best performance for television signals.

2. Can I use a different impedance for TV cables?

While it is technically possible to use a different impedance for TV cables, it is not recommended. The 75 ohm impedance is the industry standard and using a different value may result in poor signal quality and potential damage to your equipment.

3. How does the impedance of TV cables affect signal quality?

The impedance of TV cables plays a crucial role in signal quality. If the impedance does not match between the cable and the equipment, it can cause signal reflections, leading to signal loss and poor image quality.

4. What happens if I use a cable with a higher or lower impedance?

If you use a cable with a higher impedance, it will result in a weaker signal and potentially cause damage to your equipment. On the other hand, using a cable with a lower impedance can cause signal reflections and impact the overall quality of your TV signal.

5. Are there any other benefits to using 75 ohms on TV cables?

In addition to providing optimal signal transmission, using 75 ohms on TV cables also ensures compatibility with other devices and equipment. It is the standard impedance for most audio and video equipment, making it a convenient choice for most setups.