Differential equations and chemistry

In summary, the conversation revolves around applying differential equations to chemical reactions and rates. The person asking for help is interested in learning how to set up problems related to reaction rates and is seeking a sample problem. Another person provides a website with information on rate laws and mentions that equilibrium problems in chemistry are also governed by differential equations. The original person clarifies that calculus is not explicitly taught in general chemistry and expresses interest in learning more about 2nd order and linear first order equations in relation to chemistry.
Will
[SOLVED] Differential equations and chemistry

Would someone be so kind as to cook me up a sample problem relating DFQ's to chemistry? Maybe a reaction rate type problem? I do know that the rate of change in say, a 2nd order reaction is proportional to the concentration squared, but I don't know exactly how to set it up.
This is for my own interest only, nothing assigned from school. In fact, I want to learn this because even my Chem prof. didn't know exactly how to do it, and there isn't much in chem. that this guy doesn't know. I have just completed my first course in DFQ's, and its application really interests me. Would I be able to understand this type of problem? I only know how to do at most homogenous and non-homogenous 2nd order equations(and also systems of equations), and we started to do Laplace Transforms at the end of the course. I think we skipped some of the more sophisticated stuff.
If someone could come up with something, this would be greatly appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't think, that differential equations apply to chemistry.

Originally posted by Will
Maybe a reaction rate type problem? I do know that the rate of change in say, a 2nd order reaction is proportional to the concentration squared, but I don't know exactly how to set it up.

That's pretty straightforward. Check this out:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/chemistry/RateLaw.html

This is for my own interest only, nothing assigned from school. In fact, I want to learn this because even my Chem prof. didn't know exactly how to do it, and there isn't much in chem. that this guy doesn't know.

That sounds pretty strange, as the stuff in the website above (at least 1st and 2nd order rate laws) is in every general chemistry book.

Originally posted by Turtle
I don't think, that differential equations apply to chemistry.

Oh, no. All equilibrium problems are indeed differential equations, even if normally chemistry books don't say it explicitely. Indeed almost any process (physical or chemical) involving changes is rules by equations of this type. Look for example at thermodynamical problems.

Originally posted by Tom

That sounds pretty strange, as the stuff in the website above (at least 1st and 2nd order rate laws) is in every general chemistry book.

Thats because calculus is not a pre-req for general chem, so its not explicitly stated. The website cleared that up, that is exactly the info I wanted. It was simpler than I thought, all just separable 1st order eq.
So what about 2nd order equations, are they any related to chemistry,? Or how about linear first order eq? We did some like that in mixing problems already, but all problems assumed that the solute instantaneously mixed into solution.

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and predict the behavior of various systems in science, including chemical reactions.

How are differential equations used in chemistry?

In chemistry, differential equations are used to model and predict the behavior of chemical reactions. They are used to determine reaction rates, equilibrium concentrations, and other important factors in chemical reactions.

Why are differential equations important in chemistry?

Differential equations are important in chemistry because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of complex chemical systems. By using differential equations, we can make accurate predictions about the behavior of chemical reactions and design experiments to test these predictions.

What are some common types of differential equations used in chemistry?

Some common types of differential equations used in chemistry include rate equations, which describe the change in concentration of reactants and products over time, and equilibrium equations, which describe the relationship between reactants and products at equilibrium.

How can I learn more about differential equations and chemistry?

There are many resources available for learning about differential equations and chemistry, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. You can also consult with a chemistry professor or tutor for personalized guidance and instruction.