Why Do These Mathematical Expressions Seem Unequal?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, the conversation discusses an expression with a confusing denominator. The participants use an example to illustrate the incorrect calculation and eventually realize that the denominator should not be added when adding fractions.
Holocene
In order to see the problem here, you need to refer to following link:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/TurbineSpeed/Picture402887.jpg

I understand how they got the expression in the numerator. What I cannot figure out is how they got the denominator.

By their math, (x-4)(x+1) + (x+1)(x-4) = (x+1)(x-4)

This does not seem correct. Give a value to x such as x = 6, and:

(2)(7) + (7)(2) = 14 + 14 = 28

Now if we apply this value to the right member, we get:

(7)(2) = 14.

14 is NOT equal to 28.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Holocene,
a/b + c/b = (a+c)/b
As an example, if you have an eighth of a pizza and have another (one-eighth sized) slice of pizza, you have eaten 2/8=1/4 of the pizza, not 2/16 = 1/8.

Slider,

Thank you, but how can (x-4)(x+1) + (x+1)(x-4) be equal to (x+1)(x-4)?

WOW! Apparently I had forgotten that when you add fractions you do NOT add the denominators together. Instead, they must simply be equal. Man, I feel stupid for being tripped up over this one.

Slider, thanks, I can't believe I forgot this simple rule.

Related to Why Do These Mathematical Expressions Seem Unequal?

1. Why are my expressions not equal?

Expressions may not be equal due to a variety of reasons. Some common causes include incorrect syntax, missing or incorrect operators, or using the wrong comparison method. It is important to carefully check your code to identify and fix any errors.

2. How can I troubleshoot unequal expressions?

To troubleshoot unequal expressions, try breaking down your code into smaller parts and testing each part individually. You can also use print statements to check the values of variables and identify any discrepancies. Additionally, seeking help from a peer or a teacher can provide fresh perspectives and potential solutions.

3. Can different data types affect expression equality?

Yes, different data types can affect expression equality. For example, comparing an integer to a string will often result in unequal expressions. Make sure to use the same data type for both sides of the expression or convert them to a compatible data type before comparison.

4. Is there a difference between == and === when comparing expressions?

Yes, there is a difference between == and === when comparing expressions. The == operator checks for equality of value, while the === operator checks for equality of both value and data type. It is important to use the correct operator depending on the desired comparison.

5. How can I prevent unequal expressions in my code?

To prevent unequal expressions, make sure to thoroughly understand the logic and syntax of your code. Use proper variable names and comments to make your code more readable and easier to troubleshoot. Additionally, testing your code and addressing any errors or warnings can help prevent unequal expressions.