Help Needed: Building a Car For Physics Project

In summary, the conversation is about a physics project where participants are allowed to seek ideas and help from anyone except their teacher. The project involves building a car that can travel 8-12 meters without human, animal, or commercial propulsion, and must stop automatically. The car must also fit in a 1 meter cube. On the day of testing, the teacher will choose a distance between 8 and 12 meters and participants have 5 minutes to configure their car and make it reach the chosen distance. The car with the fastest time and closest distance to the chosen mark will win. The person speaking is asking for ideas and help as they are unsure of where to start. A suggestion is given to build a windable rubber band car
starspin213
ok: so i got this project for physics, and we have permission to ask ANNYYYOONNE we want for ideas/help (that is..except our teacher)...and well, please help! we have to build a car that can travel a distance of 8-12 meters. it cannot be propelled by human, animal, or commerical propulsion. it must stop automatically. it cannot be tethered or controlled by remote control. it must fit in a 1 meter cube.
purpose: on the day of testing, the teacher will pick 1 of 400 distances between 8 and 12 meters. we have 5 minutes to then configure our car and make it "go" and reach the distance. the car with the fastest time and distance closest to the mark wins.

help. we don't know where to start. pleaasse help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd do a windable rubber band car. Test it ahead of time to find out how many windings to go a range of distances.

Hi there,

Building a car for a physics project can seem like a daunting task, but don't worry, I'm here to help! First of all, it's great that you have permission to ask for help and ideas from anyone except your teacher. This means you have a wider pool of resources to draw from.

To start, let's break down the requirements for your car. It needs to travel a distance of 8-12 meters, stop automatically, fit in a 1 meter cube, and cannot be propelled by human, animal, or commercial means. These specifications suggest that the car will need to be powered by some sort of mechanical or electrical mechanism.

One idea could be to use a rubber band or spring mechanism to power the car. You can wind up the rubber band or compress the spring, and when released, it will provide the energy for the car to move. To stop the car, you can have a braking mechanism that is triggered by reaching the desired distance. This can be achieved by using a simple lever system or a more complex mechanism like a disc brake.

Next, let's talk about fitting the car into a 1 meter cube. This may require you to think creatively and use compact materials such as cardboard, lightweight wood, or even 3D printing. You can also consider using a folding design that can be unfolded to fit the required dimensions.

Now, for the challenge on the day of testing, you will need to be able to adjust the car to reach a distance between 8-12 meters in just 5 minutes. This means your car should have adjustable components such as the angle of the wheels or the tension of the rubber band/spring. It's also important to have a clear and easy-to-use control system for these adjustments.

Overall, my suggestion is to start by brainstorming different ideas and sketching out potential designs. Then, gather materials and start building and testing prototypes. Don't be afraid to experiment and make adjustments as needed. And remember, the key to success is to plan, test, and iterate.

Good luck with your project! I'm sure with some hard work and creativity, you will be able to build a winning car.

1. What materials do I need to build a car for a physics project?

To build a car for a physics project, you will need a variety of materials such as wooden boards, wheels, axles, screws, and a motor. You may also need tools like a saw, hammer, and drill to assemble the car.

2. How do I design the structure of the car?

The structure of the car can be designed by considering the principles of physics, such as balance, weight distribution, and aerodynamics. You can also use design software or create a prototype to test different designs before building the final car.

3. What physics concepts can be demonstrated with a car project?

A car project can demonstrate various physics concepts such as motion, velocity, acceleration, inertia, and friction. By building and testing the car, you can also learn about energy transfer, potential and kinetic energy, and the laws of motion.

4. How can I make my car go faster?

To make your car go faster, you can reduce friction by using smoother wheels and axles, as well as adding ball bearings. You can also increase the power of the motor or adjust the weight and balance of the car to improve its speed.

5. What safety precautions should I take when building and testing the car?

When building and testing the car, it is important to wear safety gear such as goggles and gloves. You should also work in a well-ventilated area and be cautious when using tools. Make sure to follow all instructions carefully and ask for help if needed.