Why do the forces of nature act on each other?

In summary: Nature is full of surprises and the unexplained. For example, we know that the strong force is much weaker than the other two, but we don't know why.The force fields are emergent properties of simpler interactions between particles and photons (or bosons) acting over all possible paths and summed together.For example, there are more ways that an electron and a positron can interact which end up with a closer position than which end up in a farther away position. The path integral gives an expected attraction. So I think it is correct, if not fully descriptive, to say that all forces of nature are entropic. Gravity being less certain.Its a bit like putting a red
skullcracker
why do fundamental forces of nature exist? Is it to attain a state of equilibrium? For e.g. is a positive charge is attracted to a negative charge to attain a state of equilibrium? Then why do forces like gravity, strong force, weak force exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt if anyone can answer why. It is difficult enough to understand how.

Yes, 'why' belongs to philosophy.

Chronos said:
Yes, 'why' belongs to philosophy.

a better model should be able to do that. Nature is not magic.

qsa said:
a better model should be able to do that. Nature is not magic.

There will ALWAYS be a point where you can't just say a better model must exist. Even the most fundamental theory of the universe, whatever that will end up being, will have to have assumptions built in and properties that are true simply because they are true.

Pengwuino said:
There will ALWAYS be a point where you can't just say a better model must exist. Even the most fundamental theory of the universe, whatever that will end up being, will have to have assumptions built in and properties that are true simply because they are true.
why not . This is how we made progress. Better assumptions lead to more usefull theories. Or at least more appealing ones.

Pengwuino said:

Eventually science will answer the "why". But there's still some way to go.
When understanding is good enough, things are no longer "true simply because they are true". A deeper explanation always exists.

Constantin said:
Eventually science will answer the "why". But there's still some way to go.
When understanding is good enough, things are no longer "true simply because they are true". A deeper explanation always exists.

Can you logically show that deeper explanations can exist ad infinitum?

Think about a simple math proposition such as [itex]5*{{1}\over{5}}= 1[/itex]. Why is that true? There's a couple reasons: inverse, etc. However, at the end of the day, you can't go beyond "it is true because humans created the system such that it is true".

Pengwuino said:
I usually hate these kinds of discussions because, in the end, everyone gets tied in knots and cries, "Uncle". Anyway, how would we know that we've uncovered the ultimate truth/theory of Nature? I don't think we can.

fizzle said:
I usually hate these kinds of discussions because, in the end, everyone gets tied in knots and cries, "Uncle". Anyway, how would we know that we've uncovered the ultimate truth/theory of Nature? I don't think we can.

For the sake of argument, we don't even have to assume humans figure it out. It just has to exist. Then whatever it is, there's no reason to believe there would exist an explanation that you couldn't just say "why is this true?" to.

I have to say though, it's cool to imagine a situation like that... like something (almost) unimaginably special that only in retrospect could we say "wow, there is no 'why' to that..."

It's funny since I just read a transcript of a talk by Stephen Hawking where he talked about how he no longer thought a TOE was possible to uncover.

jfy4 said:
It's funny since I just read a transcript of a talk by Stephen Hawking where he talked about how he no longer thought a TOE was possible to uncover.

On the other hand, it's so sad when people stop asking "why?" so quickly. For example, I bet millions of students have been shown the model of the atom where... despite protons having the same charge, they all are shown bunched up in the center next to each other and none of them say "hey, wait a minute...".

"why do fundamental forces of nature exist?"
The force fields are emergent properties of simpler interactions between particles and photons (or bosons) acting over all possible paths and summed together.
For example, there are more ways that an electron and a positron can interact which end up with a closer position than which end up in a farther away position. The path integral gives an expected attraction.
So I think it is correct, if not fully descriptive, to say that all forces of nature are entropic. Gravity being less certain.

Its a bit like putting a red and a green gas together and saying that there is a 'mixing force' which causes them to mix together. It isn't really a force, just the most likely outcome from the huge number of possibilities (random movement of the molecules in this case).

TGlad said:
"why do fundamental forces of nature exist?"
The force fields are emergent properties of simpler interactions between particles and photons (or bosons) acting over all possible paths and summed together.
For example, there are more ways that an electron and a positron can interact which end up with a closer position than which end up in a farther away position. The path integral gives an expected attraction.
So I think it is correct, if not fully descriptive, to say that all forces of nature are entropic. Gravity being less certain.

Its a bit like putting a red and a green gas together and saying that there is a 'mixing force' which causes them to mix together. It isn't really a force, just the most likely outcome from the huge number of possibilities (random movement of the molecules in this case).
but would it be wrong to assume that forces of nature exist to bring about a low energy state? (for e.g. strong force acts to bring about more stability).however more stability means less entropy.Moreover what is the reason for 4 different forces to exist , which ultimately leads to the same result i.e. stability ?

I don't think it is right to think of entropic forces as existing in order to increase entropy or increase stability. I would say that they exist because that is the emergent result of less constrained rules acting in large numbers.

By analogy I don't think that evolution exists in order to create fit individuals, they just happen to be the result of natural selection acting in large numbers.

But its getting into interpretations, maybe you interpret differently. Several different forces because there are several different simple interactions that happen on different particles in different ways. I don't think anyone knows exactly why there are the specific types that there are, other than the quite weak argument that humans wouldn't exist if they were different by as much as a percent or two.

Last edited:
why do fundamental forces of nature exist?

nobody knows...yet.

The standard model of particle physics does our best job of explaining
three of the four forces(excluding gravity), and lots of the activities. But the magnitudes of the forces, the mass of the particles, the charge of particles, and so forth cannot yet be derived from first principles...they are observed quantities.

Qantum field theory within the standard model does a pretty good job explaining most of what we know...but there are still unknowns.

You could equally well ask: why does mass exist?? Why does our universe exist? Why do we?

for more check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model

Related to Why do the forces of nature act on each other?

1. Why do the forces of nature act on each other?

The forces of nature act on each other because of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. These laws, such as gravity and electromagnetism, dictate how particles and objects interact with each other and how they move and behave.

2. What are the main forces of nature?

The main forces of nature are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces are responsible for the interactions between particles and objects in the universe, from the attraction between planets to the structure of atoms.

3. How do these forces interact with each other?

The forces of nature interact with each other in various ways. For example, gravity and electromagnetism can both act on an object, and the resulting force will be a combination of the two. The strong and weak nuclear forces also work together to keep the nucleus of an atom stable.

4. What is the role of forces in the formation of the universe?

Forces play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the universe. Gravity, for example, is responsible for the formation of galaxies and other large structures, while the strong and weak nuclear forces are essential for the creation and stability of matter.

5. Can we control or manipulate these forces?

While we cannot directly control or manipulate the fundamental forces of nature, we can manipulate the objects and particles that are affected by these forces. For example, we can use electromagnetism to control the movement of electrons and create technologies such as computers and electronics.