Why Do Some Solutions Satisfy One Equation But Not the System?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of non-linear and/or linear equations efficiently. The person has asked for help in understanding when it is appropriate to insert a solution that satisfies one of the equations into the others. They also mention a mistake in the title of the topic and discuss their reasoning for defining h(x,y) and g(x,y) in the first place.
Niles

Homework Statement

I wish to solve the following two equations, which are related:

[tex]
h(x,y) = y \quad \text{and} \quad g(x,y) = y+x^2-bx.
[/tex]

First I set h=0, which gives me y=0. Then I insert y=0 in g, where I find x=b and x=0. All is good here.

Now I wish to solve the same system, but I write it as follows:

[tex]
h(x,y) = y =0\cdot x + y \quad \text{and} \quad g(x,y) = y+x^2-bx.
[/tex]

Here I see that all x and y=0 satisfy h(x,y)=0, why I insert these values in g. But all x and y=0 do not satisfy g(x,y)=0 now. I know my reasoning is wrong somewhere, but I cannot see where. Can you shed some light on this simple problem?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

I wish to solve the following two equations, which are related:

[tex]
h(x,y) = y \quad \text{and} \quad g(x,y) = y+x^2-bx.
[/tex]

First I set h=0, which gives me y=0. Then I insert y=0 in g, where I find x=b and x=0. All is good here.

Now I wish to solve the same system, but I write it as follows:

[tex]
h(x,y) = y =0\cdot x + y \quad \text{and} \quad g(x,y) = y+x^2-bx.
[/tex]

Here I see that all x and y=0 satisfy h(x,y)=0, why I insert these values in g. But all x and y=0 do not satisfy g(x,y)=0 now. I know my reasoning is wrong somewhere, but I cannot see where. Can you shed some light on this simple problem?

Thanks in advance.
I don't understand what you asking or what "problem" you have but a few comments. First, you titled this "Systems of linear equations" but the second is not a linear equation. Second, you set "h= 0", why? Are you saying that you actually are solving "y= 0, y+ x2- bx= 0"? If so why define "h" and "g" at all?

Finally, I don't understand why you think that "all x and y= 0" should satisfy both equations. Adding a second equation restricts the possible solutions. Any solution to the both equations must satisfy the first equation by not the other way around: some solutions to one equation will satisfy both. Yes, "all x and y=0" satisfy y= 0. That's true whether you write "+ 0*x" or not. Geometrically, that is the vertical, y, axis. y+ x2- bx= 0 is the same as y= bx- x2 and is satisfied by all points on the parabola. Points that satisffy both are the points where they intersect: x= b, y= 0 and x= 0, y= 0.

My question is that when I have to solve a non-linear and/or linear system of equations, then what is the most efficient way of doing it, and when I am I allowed to insert the solution that satisfies 1 of the equations into the others.

1) Yeah, the topic should have been non-linear. My mistake.

2) Yes, I guess it is overkill defining h(x,y) and g(x,y) in the first place.

3) If adding a second equation restricts the possible solutions, then how is it that in the first example in post #1 I can just insert y=0 in the second equation (i.e. the equation for g(x,y))?

Thanks for helping.

Related to Why Do Some Solutions Satisfy One Equation But Not the System?

What are systems of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables. The solution to a system of linear equations is a set of values that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate variables and find the values that satisfy all of the equations.

What is the importance of systems of linear equations in science?

Systems of linear equations are used in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are essential for modeling and analyzing real-world situations, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile or determining the concentrations of substances in a chemical reaction.

What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent systems of linear equations?

A consistent system of linear equations has at least one solution that satisfies all of the equations, while an inconsistent system has no solution that satisfies all of the equations. Inconsistent systems are characterized by parallel lines or overlapping lines when graphed, while consistent systems have intersecting lines.

Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have infinitely many solutions. This occurs when the equations in the system are equivalent, meaning they represent the same line when graphed. Any point on this line is a solution to the system.