Why do some Lewis structures have exceptions?

In summary, when drawing the Lewis structure for ICl4^-, there are not enough bonds to satisfy the octet rule for all atoms. Therefore, a single bond is given to each atom and the remaining electrons are used to satisfy the octet rule for the central atom (I). This results in 4 Cl atoms with 6 electron dots single bonded to I, which has 2 lone pairs, for a total of 12 electrons. There are resources available for understanding how to draw Lewis structures with odd numbers of electrons, and it is important to follow a guide to avoid confusion.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

ICl_4^-

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I has 7 valence, Cl has 7*4. Ideally, they would be 8 and 8*4, and so.
(40-35+1)/2 = 2 bonds. //the +1 is from the negative charge of the ion

There are simply not enough bonds to go around, so when I draw it out I just give a single bond to everything that needs it. Then I make sure that they all satisfy the octet rule and give the leftover electrons to the central atom (I)? So I end up with 4 Cl's with 6 electron dots single bonded to the I, which has an additional 2 lone pair. So I has 12 electrons?

I can understand this one as an example, but what happens when I come up with an odd number of electrons? Is there a decent guide to this somewhere? The only ones that I found are horrible. Also, I am confused as to how exactly you know to make a molecule have more than one central angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me like you're sort of working backwards, and it's confusing you. Here's a guide: http://http-server.carleton.ca/~rburk/chem1000/on_line_tuts/vsepr/ICl4_.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why do some Lewis structures have exceptions?

1. What are Lewis structures?

Lewis structures are diagrams used in chemistry to represent the bonding between atoms in a molecule. They are named after American chemist Gilbert N. Lewis, who first described them in 1916.

2. What are Lewis structure exceptions?

Lewis structure exceptions refer to molecules that do not follow the general rules for drawing Lewis structures. These molecules may have unusual bonding patterns or incomplete octets, making it difficult to represent their bonding with the traditional method.

3. What causes Lewis structure exceptions?

Lewis structure exceptions can occur due to the presence of atoms with expanded or deficient valence shells, or the presence of multiple resonance structures. These factors can lead to unusual bonding patterns and electron distributions.

4. How do I identify Lewis structure exceptions?

Lewis structure exceptions can be identified by calculating the formal charges on each atom in the molecule. If the formal charges do not add up to the overall charge of the molecule, or if certain atoms have formal charges that do not match their expected number of valence electrons, then the molecule may be a Lewis structure exception.

5. Can Lewis structure exceptions exist in nature?

Yes, Lewis structure exceptions do occur in nature. Some common examples include molecules such as sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) and phosphorus pentachloride (PCl5). These molecules have expanded octets and do not follow the usual rules for drawing Lewis structures.