Why do sine and cosine have different x intercept patterns?

In summary: Trigonometry is all about solving problems, so it makes sense that the definition of pi would be tied to solving problems involving circles.There are very good reasons, for example, why a base definition of sine&cosine in terms of the solutions of a specific eigenvalue problem is more interesting than the historically first definition of them.
mr.me
hi everyone. Not really a homework question but I'm trying to teach myself trig and I wonder

Why does a sine graph have x intercepts in multiples of pi and why does a cosine graph have intercepts pi/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Well sine of pi radians is 0 (x-int). Cosine of pi/2 is 0

So since sin(pi)= 0 then it is graphed as a ([itex]\pi[/itex],0) intercept for every integer of pi?

If that's so then why does sin(pi)=zero?

mr.me said:
So since sin(pi)= 0 then it is graphed as a ([itex]\pi[/itex],0) intercept for every integer of pi?

Have you seen the circle representation of trigonometric values?

mr.me said:

[itex]\pi[/itex] is in radians and in degrees it is 180o.
sin 180o = sin(90+90)o = cos 90o = 0.

You're going to to come across the definition of [itex]\pi[/itex] sooner or later, so here is is: [itex]\pi[/itex] is the smallest positive number such that:
[tex]
\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right) =0
[/tex]

[tex]cos(x)= - sin(x- \pi/2)[/tex]

mr.me said:
hi everyone. Not really a homework question but I'm trying to teach myself trig and I wonder

Why does a sine graph have x intercepts in multiples of pi and why does a cosine graph have intercepts pi/2

If you really want to learn trig, you need to study the various ways that the sine wave can be generated. Once you do that, it's (1) obvious what the answer to your question is and (2) easier to understand trig in general.

hunt_mat said:
You're going to to come across the definition of [itex]\pi[/itex] sooner or later, so here is is: [itex]\pi[/itex] is the smallest positive number such that:
[tex]
\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right) =0
[/tex]

Huh? I though the definition of pi was the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Trig has nothing to do with it.

There generally are many different ways to define a specifice thing.

HallsofIvy said:
There generally are many different ways to define a specifice thing.

Yes, certainly, but I had the impression that the ratio definition of pi was made before anyone had ever invented trig and that it is in some sense a "fundamental" definition and that while there may be others that happen to be factually correct, they are unnecessary and happened after the fact.

phinds said:
Yes, certainly, but I had the impression that the ratio definition of pi was made before anyone had ever invented trig and that it is in some sense a "fundamental" definition and that while there may be others that happen to be factually correct, they are unnecessary and happened after the fact.
Why do you believe in some sort of historical evaluative primacy of definitions??

There are very good reasons, for example, why a base definition of sine&cosine in terms of the solutions of a specific eigenvalue problem is more interesting than the historically first definition of them.

arildno said:
Why do you believe in some sort of historical evaluative primacy of definitions??

Actually, I don't as a rule, especially since sometimes a better understanding of a phenomenon leads to a better definition, but somehow in this particular case it just seems like a more fundamenal defintion that cannot be bettered.

There are very good reasons, for example, why a base definition of sine&cosine in terms of the solutions of a specific eigenvalue problem is more interesting than the historically first definition of them.

I can't agrue with that because my math is gone (not that I would necessarily want to argue with it anyway) but I don't understand what that has to do with the ratio defintion of pi, especially in light of the fact that you are talking about trig functions and I don't see how they are needed or helpful in defining pi. VALID, I can see, but better, I cannot.

phinds said:
Huh? I though the definition of pi was the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Trig has nothing to do with it.
I learned the definition in my analysis course at university.

Related to Why do sine and cosine have different x intercept patterns?

1. Why do we use Sine and Cosine in mathematics?

Sine and cosine are trigonometric functions that are used to describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. They are essential in solving problems involving triangles, circles, and periodic phenomena.

2. What is the difference between Sine and Cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions, but they have different properties. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse. In other words, sine represents the vertical displacement from the origin, while cosine represents the horizontal displacement.

3. How are Sine and Cosine related to each other?

Sine and cosine are closely related to each other through the Pythagorean identity, which states that the square of the sine plus the square of the cosine equals one. This relationship allows for the conversion between the two functions and is useful in solving trigonometric equations.

4. Why are Sine and Cosine important in physics?

Sine and cosine are used extensively in physics to describe the motion of objects in terms of position, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in the study of waves, oscillations, and other periodic phenomena in physics.

5. How do we apply Sine and Cosine in real-world situations?

Sine and cosine have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, navigation, and astronomy. They are used to calculate the heights of buildings, distances between objects, and the positions of stars and planets. They are also used in the design of bridges, cars, and other structures to ensure stability and safety.