Why do projectiles cause acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of net force in relation to Newton's 3rd law and the classical tug of war question. The group comes to the conclusion that in situations such as a boulder being shot out of a sling shot and knocking over a wall, the net force is due to the acceleration of the boulder and the wall in opposite directions. This is a result of the conservation of momentum in a closed system. The forces are equal and opposite, but the objects still experience acceleration due to the transfer of energy.
eulerddx4
I am taking AP physics and have taken physics before but am puzzled. I started thinking about the classical tug of war question. I get that a team wins in tug of war not because the pull on each other but because they push on the ground. This is b/c of Newton's 3rd and b/c there is a net force there is acceleration.

But then I thought about why a bolder shot out of a big sling shot can knock over a wall. The boulder exerts a force on the wall, the wall exerts a force on the boulder.

So there must be a net force but why is there a net force. B/c of acceleration / f = ma?

If yes can you please explain it and not just say yes you're right. I think I'm right i just can't convince myself why this happens.
I know its extremely conceptual but I'm just stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
It has more to do with the stress from the force than Newtons 3rd law.

What you actually want is the amount of pressure the wall can handle (N/A). A strong force over a large area or a smaller force over a really small area would be enough.

But how can the ball exert a force in the first place? Is that just because it has mass and acceleration

Correct.

so the accleration of the ball is greater than the acceleration of the wall and so there is a net force? or what exactly happens in this situation

The boulder is an object in motion, which (ignoring friction) will keep moving unless decelerated by a force.

When the boulder hits the wall, the momentum of the boulder tries to accelerate the wall, and the wall tries to decelerate the boulder. That's where the forces come from. I'm a bit rusty so maybe not 100% perfectly correct, but that's the basic idea.

I think your confusion comes from where the forces are acting, yes the two forces are equal, so the net force on the system (stress the entire system of ball and wall) is zero, however the force on the wall is not zero and the force on the ball is not zero; the wall only has a force from the ball, so it will accelerate, the ball only has a force from the wall, and so it will also accelerate. The fact that these two forces are equal and opposite shows that the system will have no acceleration, which just goes to show the conservation of momentum in a closed system.

When the ball is launched, the Earth gains some equal and opposite momentum. When the ball finally comes to a halt, after ploughing through the wall, The Earth loses that momentum.
Energy has been transferred from the mechanism of the catapult to heating up the wall and ball, when it's all come to rest, finally.

Related to Why do projectiles cause acceleration

1. Why do projectiles cause acceleration?

Projectiles cause acceleration because of the force of gravity and the absence of any other forces acting on them. According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of projectiles, the only force acting on them is gravity, which pulls them towards the Earth, causing them to accelerate.

2. How does gravity affect the acceleration of projectiles?

Gravity is the force that causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth. This means that as a projectile travels through the air, it is constantly being pulled towards the ground by gravity, causing it to accelerate. The acceleration due to gravity is always constant, about 9.8 meters per second squared, regardless of the mass or size of the projectile.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of projectiles?

The acceleration of projectiles is affected by the angle at which they are launched, the initial velocity, and the presence of any other forces such as air resistance. The angle and initial velocity determine the direction and magnitude of the projectile's motion, while air resistance can slow down the projectile and ultimately affect its acceleration.

4. Can a projectile experience negative acceleration?

Yes, a projectile can experience negative acceleration, also known as deceleration or slowing down. This can occur if there is a force acting in the opposite direction of its motion, such as air resistance or a change in direction due to a collision. However, the projectile is still accelerating because its velocity is changing, but in the opposite direction.

5. How does the mass of a projectile affect its acceleration?

The mass of a projectile does not directly affect its acceleration, as stated by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a projectile with a larger mass will require a greater force to accelerate it at the same rate as a projectile with a smaller mass. However, the force of gravity is the same for all objects, regardless of their mass, so the acceleration due to gravity will be the same for all projectiles regardless of their mass.