Why Do Principal Moments of Inertia Values Change with Different Origins?

In summary: If you mean the center of mass, then yes, the moment of inertia will be the same. However, if you mean an arbitrary point, then your calculations will not be accurate.
Geocentric
Consider 4 equal masses at the 4 corners of a square of side b. First I took one of the corners as the origin and found the principal moments of inertia to be Ixx=mb^2, Iyy=3mb^2, Izz=4mb^2 after solving the secular equation. Again, I found the principal moments of inertia but now with respect to the center of mass as origin as Ixx=mb^2, Iyy=mb^2, Izz=2mb^2. Now my question is, why do I get different values of principal moments of inertia? I asked this was initially in the homework section but didn't get an answer so I am reposting it here. Let me give my thoughts on it. Intuitively, since the mass distribution is different with respect to different origins, the Principal moments of inertia are different. The eigen vectors corresponding to these principal moments would be different in the 2 cases which would mean that there are a number of principal axes which are not parallel which is not true. This means that the moments of inertia Ixx, Iyy and Izz that I calculated with respect to the corners are not the principal moments of inertia. Does my argument sound logical? I have tried to explain my question to the best of my knowledge, if my question is still not clear Please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are your axes of rotation going through the origin?

If so, then the moment of inertia will change since it is dependent on where the axis of rotation is.

Are your axes of rotation going through the origin?

Do you mean the center of mass? I have found it about 2 points-one is the center of mass and other is some arbitrary point. What is really creating a doubt in my mind is that, if I find the moment of inertia tensor about a point in the body other than the center of mass and then diagnolize it, will that give me the principal moments of inertia?

Related to Why Do Principal Moments of Inertia Values Change with Different Origins?

What are principal moments of inertia?

Principal moments of inertia refer to the three perpendicular axes of rotation in a rigid body that pass through the center of mass and have the property that the moment of inertia is maximum or minimum about those axes.

What is the significance of principal moments of inertia?

Principal moments of inertia are important in understanding the rotational motion and stability of a rigid body. They provide information about how the mass is distributed in the body and how it will respond to external forces.

How are principal moments of inertia calculated?

Principal moments of inertia are calculated using the mass distribution of a rigid body and its distance from the axes of rotation. They can be calculated using mathematical equations or through experimental methods such as a pendulum or torsion balance.

What are the units of principal moments of inertia?

The units of principal moments of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, the units for mass are kilograms (kg) and the units for distance are meters (m), therefore the units for principal moments of inertia are kg·m².

How do principal moments of inertia affect the motion of a rigid body?

The principal moments of inertia affect the rotational motion of a rigid body by determining its moment of inertia, angular momentum, and angular velocity. They also play a role in determining the stability and response of the body to external forces and torques.