Why Do Pads Help Prevent Concussions?

• Thread starter bkl4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary, a small, soft object can reduce the force on your head and allow for a shorter time for the brain to stop.
bkl4life
This isn't a homework question, just a random question. The other day I hit my head really hard on the ground and ended up getting a concussion. The athletic trainer at my school said that if I would have hit my head on a pad, I would not have received a concussion. Why is this?

Besides the obvious answer that the pad is softer. I mean, does the pad make that much of a difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it does.
When you hit something soft, your exposed part of your body decelerates at a lower rate than if you hit a solid ground. The difference is that the brain doesn't get an acceleration as big as if you hit a solid ground. A greater acceleration of the brain makes it hits the skull faster (so stronger) so it really makes a difference.

The time allowed for acclerating is longer if the pad is hit than if something with a high elasticity is hit, then the force would be less because force is change in momentum relative to change in time.
Are you all right?

Last edited:
Per Newton's 2nd law, Impulse = Change in Momentum, that is [tex]F\Delta t = m\Delta v)[/tex], which is to say, the force on your head, F is [tex] F = m\Delta v/\Delta t[/tex]. So since you would hit the pad or ground at the same speed, it's the time, t, that lessens the force on your head using the soft pad, because it takes a longer time and a longer distance for your head to come to a stop.

Wow, I didn't know a small pad would make that big of difference. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm okay. I actually got lucky, I didn't get that bad of a concussion. Lol.

That's why hammers are made of steel rather than sponge-rubber. Or, why you may use a rubber mallet instead of a steel hammer if you're trying to be more gentle.

Closely related to the FT = mv argument described above is that fact that if your head and the object it hit were completely incompressible, the time of impact would approach zero ...to stop your hard head...so for FT to equal mv, F would have to approach infinity..or at least be HUGE!...

A related effect is based on pressure as force per unit area...if you can spread out the area of impact you can reduce the force on an individual part of your noggin...think of a football helmet, for example...the impact of a sharp knee, for example, is spread by the hard exterior over maybe a quarter of the helmet area on the side of impact...so both the force on an area as well as the time of impact are changed to your benefit...

PS: don't let girls push you around that way!

Related to Why Do Pads Help Prevent Concussions?

1. Why do pads help prevent concussions?

Pads help prevent concussions by absorbing and dispersing the force of impact. When a person experiences a hit or blow to the head, the pads act as a cushion, reducing the amount of force that reaches the brain. This decreases the risk of a concussion or other traumatic brain injury.

2. What materials are used in pads to prevent concussions?

The most common materials used in pads to prevent concussions are foam and gel. These materials are able to absorb and disperse force, making them effective in reducing the risk of concussions. Some pads also incorporate advanced technologies, such as impact sensors or shock absorbers, to further enhance their protective capabilities.

3. Do all types of pads help prevent concussions?

No, not all types of pads are designed to prevent concussions. Pads that are specifically designed for impact protection, such as those used in contact sports like football and hockey, are the most effective in preventing concussions. Other types of pads, such as those used for comfort or support, may not provide the same level of protection against concussions.

4. How do pads compare to helmets in preventing concussions?

Pads and helmets serve different purposes in preventing concussions. While pads are designed to absorb and disperse force, helmets are designed to protect the head from direct impact. Both are important in preventing concussions, and it is recommended to use both pads and helmets when engaging in activities that pose a risk of head injury.

5. Can pads completely prevent concussions?

No, pads cannot completely prevent concussions. While they are effective in reducing the risk of concussions, there is no guarantee that wearing pads will prevent a concussion from occurring. It is still important to use proper technique and follow safety guidelines when engaging in activities that pose a risk of head injury.