Why do nuclear mass tables usually start with ....?

In summary, the conversation discusses the starting point of nuclear mass tables and how they typically do not start with atomic numbers larger than 8, though there may be some exceptions. The reason for this is not related to chemistry or physics, but rather due to the author's layout or personal preference. It is simply a result of human pattern recognition and there is no underlying meaning or correlation.
alizade
Physics news on Phys.org
They don't. One example does not mean "usually".

Vanadium 50 said:
They don't. One example does not mean "usually".

I have read about 10 such articles.

You're posting nonsense.

In this very thread, you linked to a set of tables that started at A=1.

Vanadium 50 said:
You're posting nonsense.

In this very thread, you linked to a set of tables that started at A=1.

I did not say that it never starts with Z=1.

My question is why in many articles starting at Z&N= 8

alizade said:
I have read about 10 such articles.
Still not usual. The lists I use to use contain all elements. So in certain cases, it might make no sense to talk about light elements, or it's due to layout reasons, whatsoever. The fact, that you ask, makes me think, you suggest some underlying, hidden meaning. There is none. If someone created a list which starts with oxygen, so it's this someone whom you should ask. Otherwise it's simply guesswork about the author's intentions.

The answer to your question is: human pattern recognition, no correlation to chemistry or physics.
Thread closed.

Likes berkeman

Related to Why do nuclear mass tables usually start with ....?

1. Why do nuclear mass tables usually start with hydrogen?

Nuclear mass tables typically start with hydrogen because it is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe. It serves as a reference point for all other elements, with a mass number of 1 and an atomic number of 1.

2. Why is hydrogen listed twice in nuclear mass tables?

Hydrogen is listed twice in nuclear mass tables because it exists in two stable isotopes, hydrogen-1 and hydrogen-2. The two isotopes have slightly different masses due to the presence of an extra neutron in hydrogen-2.

3. Why are the masses in nuclear mass tables given in terms of atomic mass units (amu)?

Nuclear mass tables use atomic mass units (amu) because they provide a more convenient and standardized way of expressing the masses of different elements. One atomic mass unit is equal to one-twelfth of the mass of a carbon-12 atom, making it easy to compare the masses of different elements.

4. Why do nuclear mass tables only list stable isotopes?

Nuclear mass tables only list stable isotopes because they are the most common and long-lasting forms of an element. Unstable isotopes, also known as radioactive isotopes, have shorter lifetimes and decay into more stable isotopes. Therefore, they are not included in mass tables as their masses are constantly changing.

5. Why do nuclear mass tables include both atomic mass and mass number?

Nuclear mass tables include both atomic mass and mass number because they provide different pieces of information about an element's mass. Atomic mass represents the average mass of all the isotopes of an element, while mass number represents the number of protons and neutrons in an isotope. Both values are important for understanding the characteristics and behavior of different elements.