Why do noodles make the soup boil?

• Thread starter Lojzek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boil
In summary, When soup is heated close to the boiling point and noodles are added, it can cause the soup to boil over due to the release of starches from the noodles. This can be avoided by using more water or reducing the heat after adding the noodles. Alternatively, the noodles can be added before the water reaches a full boil. This phenomenon is known as superheating and can also occur when freezing ultra pure water. It is important to be careful when making drinks in the microwave as the water can quickly become superheated and boil over when disturbed.
Lojzek
When the soup is heated close to the boiling point and one puts noodles inside, it boils over (even if it is put away from the fire). Does anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lojzek said:
When the soup is heated close to the boiling point and one puts noodles inside, it boils over (even if it is put away from the fire). Does anyone know why?

I don't know. I have made plenty of spaghetti during my life, and whenevr I add the pasta to the boiling water, the boiling temporarily stops. It seems to me that adding anything to boiling water will stop the boil until it heats up again.

It's called superheating.
You can gently heat a liquid slightly past it's boiling point if there is nothing to start the bubbles forming. Add something with lots of surface area, especially the powder on packet noodles or sugar to coffee and suddenly there are lots of nucleation sites for bubbles to form on.
You can also do the same thing with freezing. If you cool ultra pure water below it's freezing point then tap the side of the container you can make the whole volume freeze instantly

It's a big danger if you make drinks in the microwave - the water can be quickly heated well past it's boiling point and then as soon as it is disturbed by you moving it or putting in a spoon it will instantly boil over your hand. It's rarer in a pan on a stove - you normally make pasta with water that is a roiling boil.

Yeah, I've seen that with noodles. Rice will do it(overboil) too.
I wonder if the starch has anything to do with it.
In any event I've noticed that the overboil bubbles in those cases seem to have a cloudy film on them. Probably like mgb was saying.

If anything I would think that the noodles would lower the emperture because you are adding something room temperature to something hot. Its possible that the noodles would raise the volume of the water causing it to overflow when it boiled.

The boil over is usually due to starches in the noodles being released into the boiling water. If you want to avoid the foam issue, try using much MUCH more water for boiling than you currently use.

I would agree. The starches released causes the boiling bubbles to be en-coated in a thin film... thus allowing the bubbles to grow much larger before "popping"; hence boil over.

In practice, one usually raises the pot from the burner, reduce the temp of the burner by dialing down a notch or two, wait a few seconds, then replacing the pot on the burner. Voilà!
The food still boils, but no more pesky boil over.

I don't know much about cooking (so this might wreck your food), but you could also just add the noodles to the water before it boils, as I do with eggs.
Also, water doesn't get any hotter no matter how much you boil it. Once it's bubbling, you can turn the heat down just enough to maintain a simmer. That's still at the boiling point, but doesn't cause excessive bubbling. (It can also save on your utility bill.)

schroder said:
I don't know. I have made plenty of spaghetti during my life, and whenevr I add the pasta to the boiling water, the boiling temporarily stops. It seems to me that adding anything to boiling water will stop the boil until it heats up again.
I agree. I understand the principle of superheating, but I have never observed it on my stove.

Related to Why do noodles make the soup boil?

Why do noodles make the soup boil?

1. Why do noodles change the temperature of the soup?

Noodles absorb heat from the soup and release it back into the broth, making the overall temperature of the soup increase.

2. Do noodles make the soup boil faster?

Yes, noodles can help speed up the boiling process by creating more movement and circulation in the soup.

3. How do noodles affect the consistency of the soup?

Noodles absorb water as they cook, making the soup thicker and more flavorful.

4. Can noodles cause the soup to boil over?

Yes, noodles can contribute to soup boil overs if they are not stirred regularly or if the pot is too full.

5. Do noodles release any substances that make the soup boil?

No, noodles do not release any substances that directly cause the soup to boil. However, their presence can contribute to the overall boiling process.