Why do MOSFETs scale better than BJTs?

• Thread starter DragonPetter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale
In summary, a MOSFET scales better than a BJT or JFET. They both use PN junctions, but a MOSFET has a simpler structure which makes it easier to make smaller.
DragonPetter
I've read in several places that MOSFETs scale, while BJTs and JFETs do not. I'm curious how a MOSFET scales better, and what is meant by "better", as in do they lose frequency response, power capability, etc. more so than MOSFETs when scaled?

Obviously to me a clue is that both a BJT and JFET use PN junctions while a MOSFET does not, so I am guessing it has something to do with how PN junctions are scaled.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea what is scale. Please explain. Do you mean the dimension scaling for current ratio? If so, BJT is superior in this than MOSFET because the Vbe of BJT is much more predictable than Vgs.

The PN junction of JFET and BJT function totally different, one is reverse biased and BJT has two where one is forward biased and one is reverse. There is no similarity between the two. JFET is much close to MOSFET.

yungman said:
I have no idea what is scale. Please explain. Do you mean the dimension scaling for current ratio? If so, BJT is superior in this than MOSFET because the Vbe of BJT is much more predictable than Vgs.

The PN junction of JFET and BJT function totally different, one is reverse biased and BJT has two where one is forward biased and one is reverse. There is no similarity between the two. JFET is much close to MOSFET.

I mean scale as in shrinking the geometry and size of the device, like making MOSFETs smaller so more will fit in a given area. Everything I have read has said that MOSFETs scale better but does not say why.

And I understand that a JFET operates under the same mechanism as MOSFET, but its composed of pn junctions rather than an isolated gate, and it can act as a diode when Vgs is forward biased on the gate, so I meant that way that it is similar to a BJT.

Yes, you can make MOSFET much smaller because it is really a rectangle block with the gate laying on top for depletion FET or a simple NPN block with the gate on top of the P for enhancement mode ( something like that!) The voltage cause the inversion layer to conduct. The structure is a lot simpler than BJT and you can make it a lot smaller. I am not an expert in semiconductor, but I believe the enhancement mode MOSFET has PN junction, but it is a lot easier to fab than the BJT.

I am not sure about JFET why it cannot be made smaller.

I can't think of any theoretical reasons why a BJT cannot be made as small as a MOSFET. A MOSFET does takes less fabrication steps which I guess makes it simpler to make smaller.

My only guess is no one has put as much thought into shrinking BJTs because BJTs are not as good for digital due to their lower input impedance.

I think probably what they mean is the gain reduces more quickly with feature size for a BJT than a MOSFET. This makes a smaller BJT less useful than a small MOSFET.

I actually read about the reason, it is the simpler in fab. It takes more steps to fab a BJT. BJT are fab vertically with lightly doped collector first, then heavy dope on top to form the base. Then the emitter in the middle of the base tub. Where MOSFET is pretty much lateral particular the depletion mode where all you need is the N or P body and an insulated gate on top in the middle. The more step you need in fab, the bigger the size of the component because you really cannot absolutely control the boundary of the doping.

Even for enhancement mode MOSFET, the NPN are lateral instead of on top of each other like BJT. The gate just deposit on top of the P so you can apply voltage to create the inversion layer on top of the P.

I think the one most important thing that MOSFET is better for digital circuit because BJT will be working in forward forward mode and has reverse recovery time. Even if you use Schottky diode ( like the AS family), there is still significant propagation delay compare to MOSFET. So if you use MOSFET in the internal of the digital IC, they run really fast. You can see those processor are running in over 2GHz.

Only reason why the discrete CMOS logic don't seem to be that fast is because the internal MOSFET that can run so fast has no drive capability. Before driving out to an external output pin, multiple buffers are needed with progressive larger size transistors. When the MOSFET get bigger, the input gate capacitance become a gating factor and slow the circuit down. that is the reason why the processor can run in over 2GHz inside, but any external I/O can only run is a few hundred MHz at best.

Last edited:
BJT's don't have a nice scaling formula like MOSFETs. This is due to a number of reasons but the biggest is how BJTs work vs. how MOSFETs work.

BJT performance is primarily defined by base-emitter junction width which doesn't scale much with planar dimensions. The bandwidth is primarily defined by how well you control diffusion or ion implant rather than photolithography. In contrast, MOSFETs improve bandwidth as gate lengths and oxide thickness drops.

Added to this, there isn't a direct planar (W, L, Area) relationship to power consumption with BJTs. In contrast there is for MOS.

The net results is that BJTs haven't budged much in performance (dropping size reduces some capacitance but also reduces drive) while MOSFETs have scaled in speed and power with photolithographic scaling. This is also part of why you can now build CMOS op amps that rival BJT op amps in certain performance corners.

jsgruszynski said:
BJT's don't have a nice scaling formula like MOSFETs. This is due to a number of reasons but the biggest is how BJTs work vs. how MOSFETs work.

BJT performance is primarily defined by base-emitter junction width which doesn't scale much with planar dimensions. The bandwidth is primarily defined by how well you control diffusion or ion implant rather than photolithography. In contrast, MOSFETs improve bandwidth as gate lengths and oxide thickness drops.

Added to this, there isn't a direct planar (W, L, Area) relationship to power consumption with BJTs. In contrast there is for MOS.

The net results is that BJTs haven't budged much in performance (dropping size reduces some capacitance but also reduces drive) while MOSFETs have scaled in speed and power with photolithographic scaling. This is also part of why you can now build CMOS op amps that rival BJT op amps in certain performance corners.

Thanks so much, that was the kind of information I was looking for.

MOSFET has no limit in speed, problem is the drive needed to overcome the input capacitance. You can get higher and higher speed when yo shrink the size that lower the capacitance, but then you loss drive. When you interface to the outside world, you need multi progressively larger transistors to get the drive up. That slow down the speed when interface to the external world. BJT have saturation problem regardless of size. Even with schotky diode is not going to help that much.

Related to Why do MOSFETs scale better than BJTs?

1. Why are MOSFETs considered to be better than BJTs in terms of scaling?

MOSFETs (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors) are considered to be better than BJTs (bipolar junction transistors) in terms of scaling because they have a lower input impedance, allowing for smaller gate capacitance and faster switching speeds. Additionally, MOSFETs have a lower leakage current and can be easily integrated into complex circuits due to their simple fabrication process.

2. How do MOSFETs and BJTs differ in terms of their physical structure?

MOSFETs and BJTs differ in their physical structure in several ways. MOSFETs have a metal gate separated from the channel by a thin layer of oxide, whereas BJTs have two heavily doped regions connected by a thin layer of lightly doped material. Additionally, MOSFETs are unipolar devices, meaning they operate using only one type of charge carrier, while BJTs are bipolar devices, using both electrons and holes.

3. What is the main advantage of MOSFETs over BJTs in terms of power consumption?

The main advantage of MOSFETs over BJTs in terms of power consumption is their low leakage current. MOSFETs have a gate-to-source voltage that controls the channel, allowing for minimal current flow when the device is in the off state. This results in lower power consumption compared to BJTs, which have a constant base current even in the off state.

4. How does the scaling of MOSFETs and BJTs affect their performance?

The scaling of MOSFETs and BJTs affects their performance in different ways. As MOSFETs are scaled down, their channel length and gate oxide thickness decrease, leading to faster switching speeds and higher packing density. On the other hand, as BJTs are scaled down, their base width becomes smaller, resulting in higher base resistance and reduced current gain.

5. Can MOSFETs and BJTs be used interchangeably in electronic circuits?

No, MOSFETs and BJTs cannot be used interchangeably in electronic circuits due to their different operating principles and physical structures. MOSFETs are voltage-controlled devices, while BJTs are current-controlled devices. Additionally, MOSFETs have a higher input impedance and lower output impedance compared to BJTs, making them more suitable for certain applications such as high-frequency circuits and power amplifiers.