Why do mirrors reverse images left-to-right?

• Thread starter relinquished™
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, the reason why mirrors appear to reverse an image left-to-right is because our brains are used to seeing things reflected front-to-back. When we look at someone in a mirror, they are actually facing us, but we perceive them as facing away from us. This is why their left hand appears to be the right hand. When we look at objects in a mirror, we are essentially seeing them from a different perspective than we are used to.
relinquished™
There has been this question that has been bothering me for quite sometime. It is an assignment question I failed to answer...

Can anyone explain to me in terms of light and the laws of reflection the reason why Mirrors reverse an image left-to-right?

Physics news on Phys.org
They don't.

When it is in front of you, it reverses front to back, not left-right. This makes your left hand look like a right hand.

When you stand on one, it reverses top to bottom. Only when it is to your side, does it reverse left-right.

Njorl

A mirror DOESN'T reverse anything. THAT'S why images in a mirror look peculiar. Imagine a person standing beside you stepping in front of you. In order for you to see her, she would have to turn around- i.e. reverse! Because you are used to that, when a mirror DOESN'T reverse, it looks peculiar.

Another example: look in the mirror as you are driving- everything LOOKS reversed. That's not because the mirror has reversed anything. In order to see the same thing without the mirror, you would have to turn around- reversing yourself. Using a mirror you lose that reversal you normally have.

I think what Njorl means by "reverses front to back" is that the operation defined by 'reflection' takes P=(x,y,z) to P'=(x,y,-z) for a mirror along z=0.

thanx guys.. you've helped me out ^_^

Related to Why do mirrors reverse images left-to-right?

What is the mirror's reversal property?

The mirror's reversal property refers to the phenomenon where the image reflected in a mirror appears flipped horizontally. This is because the mirror reflects light rays in such a way that the left side of an object appears on the right side in the mirror and vice versa.

Why does the mirror's reversal property occur?

The mirror's reversal property occurs because of the principle of reflection, which states that light rays bounce off a surface at the same angle at which they hit it. When an object is placed in front of a mirror, the light rays from the object bounce off the mirror's surface and enter our eyes, creating the illusion of a flipped image.

Does the mirror's reversal property apply to all types of mirrors?

Yes, the mirror's reversal property applies to all types of mirrors, including flat, curved, and concave mirrors. However, the degree of reversal may vary depending on the shape and curvature of the mirror's surface.

Can the mirror's reversal property be used to create an exact copy of an object?

No, the mirror's reversal property cannot be used to create an exact copy of an object. This is because the image reflected in a mirror is a virtual image, which means it cannot be projected onto a screen. Additionally, the image will always appear flipped, making it impossible to create an exact copy.

Are there any practical applications of the mirror's reversal property?

Yes, the mirror's reversal property has several practical applications, such as in mirrors used for grooming, telescopes, and microscopes. It is also used in everyday objects like rearview mirrors in cars and periscopes in submarines.