Why do ice makers req min 45F water, well above freezing?

It seems that the reason for requiring a minimum water temperature of 45F for ice makers is to prevent the water from freezing prematurely and clogging up the machine. This ensures that the machine runs efficiently and produces high-quality ice cubes. In summary, many commercial and larger restaurant ice makers require a water temperature of 45F or higher to prevent freezing and maintain optimal efficiency.
shane2
Many of the commercial and larger restaurant ice makers require that water temp pumped in for making ice needs to be 45F or higher. Anybody know why? Seemed like the colder the better, this side of freezing, everything would run more efficiently. I'm guessing it's cause however it's piped, sprayed or pumped into ice cube making freezing area, some, too cold, water entering there could freeze up prematurely, clogging up the works, yes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
shane2 said:
Many of the commercial and larger restaurant ice makers require that water temp pumped in for making ice needs to be 45F or higher. Anybody know why? Seemed like the colder the better, this side of freezing, everything would run more efficiently. I'm guessing it's cause however it's piped, sprayed or pumped into ice cube making freezing area, some, too cold, water entering there could freeze up prematurely, clogging up the works, yes?
That's my guess too.

Related to Why do ice makers req min 45F water, well above freezing?

1. Why do ice makers require minimum 45F water, well above freezing?

Ice makers require minimum 45F water to ensure that the ice produced is clear and free from impurities. When water freezes slowly, impurities such as minerals and sediment have time to settle, resulting in cloudy ice. By using water that is well above freezing, the ice forms more quickly, preventing impurities from settling and resulting in clear ice.

2. Can I use water that is below 45F in my ice maker?

It is not recommended to use water that is below 45F in your ice maker. Water that is too cold can cause the ice maker to malfunction, resulting in either no ice production or the production of small, misshapen ice cubes. Additionally, using water that is too cold can also cause damage to the ice maker's internal components.

3. Will using water that is above 45F affect the quality of my ice?

Using water that is above 45F may result in slightly softer ice cubes, but it will not significantly affect the quality of your ice. The main concern with using water that is too warm is the potential for bacteria growth, which can be prevented by regularly cleaning the ice maker and replacing the water filter.

4. Why do some ice makers require even warmer water (50-55F) for optimal performance?

Some ice makers may require even warmer water (50-55F) for optimal performance due to their specific design and function. These ice makers may have a longer freezing cycle, and using warmer water helps to speed up the freezing process and ensure that the ice produced is clear and free from impurities.

5. Is there an ideal water temperature for ice maker use?

The ideal water temperature for ice maker use is generally between 45-55F. This temperature range allows for clear and pure ice production while also preventing any potential damage to the ice maker's internal components. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for water temperature to ensure optimal performance and longevity of your ice maker.