Why Do I Need So Many Resistors? Is It Possible to Reduce?

In summary, the conversation is about whether it is possible to remove some of the resistors from a circuit to make the signal stronger without damaging other components. It is also questioned why non-trimming capacitors are necessary. The expert explains that each resistor has a specific purpose and redesigning the circuit may be possible, but not recommended given the current schematic. The expert also references a quote from the movie Amadeus and suggests that removing certain components may affect the function of the circuit.
Le Luc
Hello. I wonder if I can take some of these resistors off and make the signal stronger without breaking the rest of the components. Is this possible?

Also why are the non-trimming capacitors needed?

I have a picture attached.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 4.19.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 4.19.24 PM.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Each one of those resistors is doing a job. Do you know why they are there? You could in principle redesign the function so it doesn't need as many resistors, but given that schematic, they are there for a reason.

Would you ask if you could take off some of the tires of a car and still drive without breaking the rest of the components?

Likes berkeman
Le Luc said:
Hello. I wonder if I can take some of these resistors off and make the signal stronger

analogdesign said:
Would you ask if you could take off some of the tires of a car and still drive without breaking the rest of the components?
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from the movie Amadeus.

Likes sophiecentaur, DrClaude, davenn and 3 others
The first transistor and associated resistors make up the pre-amp, so if you decide to pound the microphone with sufficiently high volume, you can try omitting Q1 and it's bias resistances.

Related to Why Do I Need So Many Resistors? Is It Possible to Reduce?

1. Why do I need so many resistors?

Resistors are essential components in any electronic circuit. They are used to control the flow of electric current and regulate the voltage. Without resistors, it would be challenging to design and build functional electronic devices. Also, different resistors have different resistance values, making them necessary for specific purposes in a circuit.

2. Can I reduce the number of resistors in my circuit?

It may be possible to reduce the number of resistors in a circuit, depending on the specific design and purpose of the circuit. However, resistors are crucial for regulating the flow of current and voltage, and removing them may affect the functionality of the circuit. It is always best to consult with an experienced electronics engineer before making any changes to a circuit.

3. What factors determine the number of resistors needed in a circuit?

The number of resistors needed in a circuit depends on several factors, such as the type of circuit (series or parallel), the voltage and current requirements, and the desired output. Additionally, the values and tolerances of the resistors used can also affect the number needed in a circuit.

4. Are there any alternatives to using resistors in a circuit?

There are some alternatives to using traditional resistors in a circuit, such as using diodes, transistors, or inductors for specific purposes. However, these alternatives may not always be suitable or feasible, and resistors remain the most commonly used component for regulating current and voltage in electronic circuits.

5. Can I use a single resistor for multiple purposes in a circuit?

In some cases, a single resistor can be used for multiple purposes in a circuit, such as regulating voltage and current at different points. However, this requires careful calculation and consideration of the resistor's resistance value and its location in the circuit. It is usually more efficient and practical to use separate resistors for each purpose in a circuit.