Why do I have a Fourier Serie in my heat equation solution?

In summary, the solution to the basic heat equation involves separating the variables into a time component and a spatial component. The solution for each value of n can be written as a product of these components. The general solution is found by summing over all possible values of n, which leads to a Fourier series. The coefficients of the sine components can be found using Euler's formula and the initial condition of the PDE.
Link-
I'm trying to solve a basic heat equation [tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\alpha \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}[/tex] I manage to get [tex]T=X(x)\tau(t)[/tex]
Then [tex]\tau(t)=A*e^{-\alpha*\lambda^2*t} and X(x)=C*sin(\lambda x) where \lambda=\pi/Ln n=1,2,3,...[/tex]

From here I don't know how or why I get to a Fourier Serie. Like this [tex] u(t,x) = \sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} D_n \left(\sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2 kt}{L^2}} \\ and \\ D_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f(x) \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L} \, dx. [/tex]

Can someone explain why I have this Fourier Serie?

Thanks Link

Physics news on Phys.org
Link- said:
[tex]\tau(t)=A*e^{-\alpha*\lambda^2*t}[/tex]

[tex]X(x)=C*sin(\lambda x) where \lambda=\pi/Ln n=1,2,3,...[/tex]
From here, recall that when you separated the variables you stated that:
Link- said:
[tex]T=X(x)\tau(t)[/tex]
Which leads to:

[tex]T = u_n(x,t) = A_n*e^{-\alpha\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}\right)^2 t}\left(C_n*sin(\frac{n\pi}{L} x)\right)[/tex]

This is the general solution for each value of [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}^+[/itex]. However, the general solution to the heat equation is a superposition of all possible modes (or values of n). In otherwords, to find the general solution to the original PDE you need to sum over all possible n:

[tex]u(x,t) = \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\left\{ A_n*e^{-\alpha\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}\right)^2 t}\left[C_n*sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{L} x\right)\right]\right\}
[/tex]

Combining the coefficients such that [itex]A_n\cdot C_n = D_n[/itex]:

[tex]u(x,t) = \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}D_ne^{-\alpha\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}\right)^2 t}\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{L} x\right)
[/tex]

In general the Fourier series of a function my be written as the sum of sines and cosines, but since your function is odd (i.e. only has sines and exponents) the coefficients of the cosine component are identically equal to zero. Therefore, you are simply left with the coefficients of the sine component which are given by Euler's formula:

[tex]b_n = \frac{2}{L}\int_0^Lf(x)\sin\left(\frac{2n\pi}{T}x\right)[/tex]

Where T is the period, which in this case is 2L. Hence:

[tex]D_n = \frac{2}{L}\int_0^Lf(x)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}x\right)[/tex]

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Hootenanny.

Link- said:
I'm trying to solve a basic heat equation [tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\alpha \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}[/tex] I manage to get [tex]T=X(x)\tau(t)[/tex]
Then [tex]\tau(t)=A*e^{-\alpha*\lambda^2*t} and X(x)=C*sin(\lambda x) where \lambda=\pi/Ln n=1,2,3,...[/tex]

From here I don't know how or why I get to a Fourier Serie. Like this [tex] u(t,x) = \sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} D_n \left(\sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2 kt}{L^2}} \\ and \\ D_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f(x) \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L} \, dx. [/tex]

Can someone explain why I have this Fourier Serie?

Thanks Link
I'm assuming f(x)=u(0,x) which is the initial condition of the PDE. So the solution u(t,x) must satsify IC (well I'm more used to u(x,t) but what the heck...)

[tex]
u(t,x) = \sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} D_n \left(\sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2 kt}{L^2}}
[/tex]
so by setting t=0, you got
[tex]
u(0,x) = f(x)=\sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} D_n \left(\sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) }
[/tex]
Multiply both sides by sin(mPI/L)
[tex]
f(x) \sin \frac{m\pi x}{L}=\sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} D_n \left(\sin \frac{m\pi x}{L} \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) }
[/tex]
perform a term by term integration on RHS over 0=<x=<L
[tex]
\int _{0}^{L}f(x) \sin \frac{m\pi x}{L}dx= \sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} \int _{0}^{L}D_n \left(\sin \frac{m\pi x}{L} \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) }dx
[/tex]
because
[tex]
\int _{0}^{L}\left(\sin \frac{m\pi x}{L} \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) }dx = 0 \quad when \quad m \neq n
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\int _{0}^{L}\sin ^{2} \left(\frac{m\pi x}{L}\right) }dx = \frac{L}{2} \quad when \quad m=n \neq0
[/tex]
It reduced to
[tex]
\int _{0}^{L}f(x) \sin \frac{m\pi x}{L}dx=D_{n}\frac{L}{2}
[/tex]
now replace m with n (because m=n)
[tex]
D_{n}=\frac{2}{L}\int _{0}^{L}f(x) \sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}dx
[/tex]

Hope that helps, at least partially.

Last edited:

Related to Why do I have a Fourier Serie in my heat equation solution?

1. What is the heat equation Fourier series?

The heat equation Fourier series is a mathematical representation of the process of heat transfer in a given system. It is a solution to the heat equation, which describes how heat is distributed and transferred over time in a material.

2. How is the heat equation Fourier series derived?

The heat equation Fourier series is derived using the Fourier transform, which breaks down a function into an infinite sum of sinusoidal functions. This allows us to represent a given temperature distribution in terms of an infinite series of sinusoidal functions, making it easier to solve the heat equation.

3. What are the applications of the heat equation Fourier series?

The heat equation Fourier series has many applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can be used to model heat transfer in different materials and systems, such as in the design of heat exchangers, buildings, and electronic devices.

4. What are the limitations of the heat equation Fourier series?

The heat equation Fourier series assumes a steady-state and linear heat transfer, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it assumes that the material properties, such as thermal conductivity, are constant, which may not hold true in some situations.

5. How is the heat equation Fourier series solved?

The heat equation Fourier series can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, the method of eigenfunction expansion, and the method of characteristics. These methods involve solving a set of differential equations to determine the coefficients of the Fourier series and the temperature distribution in the system.