Why Do Electrons in Covalent Bonds Not Remain Stationary?

In summary, electrons in a covalently bonded atom do not revolve around the nucleus, as this is an outdated atomic model. In the quantum model, electrons have a probability of being found at various spots, forming an orbital. This also explains the misconception of standing waves in atoms. Additionally, van der Waals bonds are formed through dispersion forces, which are a result of temporary dipoles created by the movement of electrons in the atom.
harjot singh
my question is that why electrons revolve in a covalent bonded atom where the force of attraction of the other atom to which electron is shared when put forces of attraction on it.it means that they then should stuck at single point rather than revolving in the atom,my another question related to this fact is that why they then make a van Der walls bond through dispersion forces as electrons will not move i the atom? explain this whole misconception.

Physics news on Phys.org
harjot singh said:
my question is that why electrons revolve in a covalent bonded atom where the force of attraction of the other atom to which electron is shared when put forces of attraction on it.it means that they then should stuck at single point rather than revolving in the atom,my another question related to this fact is that why they then make a van Der walls bond through dispersion forces as electrons will not move i the atom? explain this whole misconception.

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Harjot!

Bound electrons do not revolve around a nucleus. That is an outdated atomic model. In the quantum model, there is a probability an electron will be found at a particular spot. The various spots it can possibly be found at together form an orbital.

DrChinese said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums, Harjot!

Bound electrons do not revolve around a nucleus. That is an outdated atomic model. In the quantum model, there is a probability an electron will be found at a particular spot. The various spots it can possibly be found at together form an orbital.

but i am still in misconception ,relating to standing waves in atom?pleasezz explain everything about it

Related to Why Do Electrons in Covalent Bonds Not Remain Stationary?

1. What are standing waves in an atom?

Standing waves in an atom refer to the stationary patterns of electron density that form around the nucleus of an atom. These waves are a result of the quantum mechanical nature of electrons, which can only exist in specific energy levels.

2. How are standing waves in an atom related to electron orbitals?

Standing waves in an atom are directly related to electron orbitals, which are the regions of space where electrons are most likely to be found. The standing waves form the boundaries of these orbitals and determine the energy levels that electrons can occupy.

3. What causes standing waves in an atom to form?

The formation of standing waves in an atom is a result of the wave-like behavior of electrons. When an electron is confined within an atom, it acts as a standing wave due to its discrete energy levels and the interference of its wave function with itself.

4. How do standing waves in an atom affect the properties of an element?

The standing waves in an atom determine the electron configuration and energy levels of an element, which in turn, affect its chemical and physical properties. The number and distribution of standing waves in an atom also contribute to its reactivity and ability to bond with other atoms.

5. Can standing waves in an atom be observed?

No, standing waves in an atom cannot be directly observed. They are a mathematical representation of the probability distribution of an electron's position in an atom. However, their effects can be observed through spectroscopic techniques, which measure the energy transitions of electrons between different standing wave states.