Why do electric arcs in a Jacob's Ladder rise upwards?

• Thread starter n1caboose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: The magnetic field created by the metal rods exerts an upwards force on the moving charge in the arc, which leads to the arc getting larger in diameter.
n1caboose
In lecture last week my professor asked us why the electric arcs formed by the Jacobs Ladder demonstration device rose up into the air. I answered that the magnetic field created by the metal rods exerted an upwards force on the moving charge in the arc. My professor told me this was getting ahead and that the cause had to do with the heating of air particles due to ionization.

Was I correct in believing magnetic force has a significant impact on the arc? Or is it negligible? Thanks PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
Afaik, the magnetic effect should cause the current loop to repel - hence, get larger diameter. (Which is what you said) The arc will have neutral charge so there should be no net Coulomb forces so I guess that the 'electrical effect' would be magnetic.
I guess that the expansion of the volume of heated plasma could also have an effect but, as I keep saying to people, the actual Numbers Count (!) so you'd have to do the actual sums on heating and magnetic effects and find the greater one.
Go on then - don't hang around - just do it. Ha Ha.

Thinking further, if the volume (when heated) has to increase and the parallel currents within the arc will trend to keep the moving charges together (pinch effect?) then it would have to get longer - moving up to the more spaced out wires. But the magnetic effect (attractive this time) would also seem necessary to account for the phenomenon.

“When the device is turned on, the full voltage initially appears across the bars causing an arc to form at the closest point, where the electric field is highest. The voltage then drops to a low value because the impedance of the arc is low. The arc heats the air, and the hot air begins to rise because it is less dense than the surrounding air. As the arc rises, its impedance increases, and the voltage between the bars rises. Eventually the arc gets so long that the voltage is not sufficient to sustain it, and the arc goes out. Then the voltage rises to its full open-circuit value, and the arc restrikes at the bottom. There is also a magnetic force causing the arc to rise, but the dominant effect is the heating of the air as can be demonstrated by tilting the whole device on its side.”
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/demobook/chapter4.htm

CONVECTION! Of course. Not having played, hands-on, with a good Jacobs Ladder, I hadn't taken on board the 'upward' motion that you get.
What a good explanation.

Your answer was partially correct. The upward motion of the electric arc in a Jacob's Ladder is a result of several factors, including the heating of air particles due to ionization and the magnetic force exerted on the charged particles. The magnetic force plays a significant role in the motion of the arc, but it is not the sole cause.

When the voltage is applied to the metal rods, it creates a strong electric field that ionizes the air particles between the rods. This ionization causes the air to become electrically conductive, allowing the current to flow between the rods. As the current flows, it heats up the air particles, causing them to rise due to convection. This results in the upward motion of the arc.

At the same time, the charged particles in the arc experience a magnetic force due to the Earth's magnetic field and the magnetic field created by the metal rods. This force, known as the Lorentz force, acts perpendicular to the direction of the current flow and pushes the charged particles upward, contributing to the arc's upward motion.

In summary, both the heating of air particles due to ionization and the magnetic force have a significant impact on the upward motion of the electric arc in a Jacob's Ladder. It is important to consider both factors when explaining the phenomenon.

Related to Why do electric arcs in a Jacob's Ladder rise upwards?

What is the "Physics of Jacob's Ladder"?

The "Physics of Jacob's Ladder" refers to the scientific principles and phenomena behind the operation of a Jacob's Ladder, which is a device that demonstrates the effects of electric current and air pressure.

How does a Jacob's Ladder work?

A Jacob's Ladder consists of two vertical metal rods with a small gap between them. When a high voltage electric current is applied to the bottom of the rods, it ionizes the air in the gap, creating a conductive path. The electric current travels up the gap, causing the air to heat up and expand, which pushes the ionized air upwards. This creates a continuous cycle of electric current and air pressure, causing the glowing arc to rise up the rods.

What are the key principles of physics involved in a Jacob's Ladder?

The key principles of physics involved in a Jacob's Ladder include electric current, ionization, air pressure, and thermal expansion. The electric current provides the energy to ionize the air, which creates a conductive path for the current to flow. The heated air then expands, creating a pressure difference that causes the arc to rise.

Can a Jacob's Ladder be dangerous?

Yes, a Jacob's Ladder can be dangerous if not handled properly. The high voltage electric current involved can cause electric shocks and burns, and the ionized air can produce ozone, which can be harmful if inhaled in large quantities. It is important to take proper safety precautions when operating a Jacob's Ladder.

What are some real-world applications of the "Physics of Jacob's Ladder"?

The "Physics of Jacob's Ladder" has applications in fields such as electrical engineering, plasma physics, and even entertainment. It is often used in educational demonstrations to explain concepts such as electric current and air pressure. It can also be found in some industrial processes, such as welding and metal cutting, where high voltage and ionized air are necessary. Additionally, it has been featured in movies and TV shows for its dramatic visual effect.