Why Do Different Semiconductors Exhibit Varied Transmittance Levels?

• Thread starter says
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bandgap
In summary, the transmittance of different semiconductors is different because they have different bandgaps, which depend on both their composition and crystalline structure. Reflectance of a semiconductor can also be reduced by anti-reflection coatings, which are beneficial for solar cells as they increase efficiency by reducing reflections. These coatings work within a specific wavelength range that must match the working range of the solar cell.
says

Homework Statement

I recently completed an experiment where I measured the transmittance of a set of samples (different semiconductors). I'm trying to understand why the transmittance was different for different samples. Only just started learning some solid-state physics.

The spectrum (I think it was Voltage [y-axis] vs. Wavelength [x-axis])

The Transmittance of the surface of a material/semiconductor is its effectiveness in transmitting radiant energy.

The bandgap of a semiconductor is the minimum energy required to excite an electron that is stuck in its bound state into a free state where it can participate in conduction.

So the transmittance of different semiconductors is different because they have different bandgaps. Is that correct to infer that?

If so, I'm wondering how different materials have different bandgaps? Is it purely because of their crystalline structure?

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

I recently completed an experiment where I measured the transmittance of a set of samples (different semiconductors). I'm trying to understand why the transmittance was different for different samples. Only just started learning some solid-state physics.

The spectrum (I think it was Voltage [y-axis] vs. Wavelength [x-axis])

The Transmittance of the surface of a material/semiconductor is its effectiveness in transmitting radiant energy.

The bandgap of a semiconductor is the minimum energy required to excite an electron that is stuck in its bound state into a free state where it can participate in conduction.

So the transmittance of different semiconductors is different because they have different bandgaps. Is that correct to infer that?

If so, I'm wondering how different materials have different bandgaps? Is it purely because of their crystalline structure?
Yes, different semiconductors have different bandgaps. They transmit light at longer wavelengths and absorb light with wavelenghts shorter than the one corresponding to the bandgap. The bandgap of different materials depend both on the atoms/molecules they consist of and their crystalline structure.

Likes says
What about the reflectance of a semiconductor? Is that also due to bandgap? Or just atoms they are made of, crystalline structure and anti-reflective coating?

Everything has some reflectance. Highly absorbing materials also have high reflectance. The reflectance can be calculated from the real and imaginary parts of the refractive index, and it also depends on the composition and structure of the material.
Reflectance can be reduced by anti-reflection coatings.

Different semiconductors have different reflectance based on their composition and crystalline structure. So it is beneficial for a solar cell to have anti-reflective coating (ARC) because it reduces the number of reflections and increases the transmittance and absorption, which increases the efficiency of a solar cell?

If a semiconductor is known to reflect light of a certain wavelength range can an ARC be then placed over the semiconductor to reduce the reflectance at that specific wavelength range? i.e. If a semiconductor has high reflectance from say 600 - 800 nm, an ARC can be placed on the semiconductor that reduces the reflections at this wavelength range.

says said:
Different semiconductors have different reflectance based on their composition and crystalline structure. So it is beneficial for a solar cell to have anti-reflective coating (ARC) because it reduces the number of reflections and increases the transmittance and absorption, which increases the efficiency of a solar cell?
Yes, reflection means loss of the intensity of the light entering into the solar cell.
says said:
If a semiconductor is known to reflect light of a certain wavelength range can an ARC be then placed over the semiconductor to reduce the reflectance at that specific wavelength range? i.e. If a semiconductor has high reflectance from say 600 - 800 nm, an ARC can be placed on the semiconductor that reduces the reflections at this wavelength range.
Yes, an ARC coating works in a certain wavelength range. That range must be the same as the working range of the solar cell.

Likes says

Related to Why Do Different Semiconductors Exhibit Varied Transmittance Levels?

What is transmittance?

Transmittance refers to the percentage of light that is able to pass through a material without being absorbed or scattered. It is often used to measure the transparency of a material.

How is transmittance measured?

Transmittance is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light that is transmitted through a material at different wavelengths. The results are then expressed as a percentage.

What is bandgap?

Bandgap is the energy difference between the highest occupied energy level (valence band) and the lowest unoccupied energy level (conduction band) in a solid material. It is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity.

How does bandgap affect a material's properties?

The bandgap of a material can affect its properties in various ways. For example, materials with a larger bandgap tend to be insulators, while materials with a smaller bandgap are usually semiconductors or conductors. Bandgap also determines the wavelength of light that a material can absorb, which can have implications for optoelectronic applications.

How is the bandgap of a material determined?

The bandgap of a material can be determined through various techniques, such as optical absorption spectroscopy and electrical measurements. These methods involve analyzing the energy levels of a material and observing changes in absorption or conductivity at different energies, which can then be used to calculate the bandgap.