Why do crystal glasses shatter when hot liquid is poured into them?

The presence of air bubbles inside the glass can also contribute to this phenomenon, as the gas may expand more than the glass and create pressure that can cause cracks. Some believe that it is the uneven heating of the glass that causes certain parts to expand more rapidly, resulting in differential forces over the glass surface.
APool555
My teacher was telling me how when you pour a hot liquid into a crystal glass that it will shatter. This is due to the transfer of heat, which speeds up the molecules in the cup. But air had something to do with it and I can not remember what. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
APool555 said:
My teacher was telling me how when you pour a hot liquid into a crystal glass that it will shatter. This is due to the transfer of heat, which speeds up the molecules in the cup. But air had something to do with it and I can not remember what. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.
I suppose that if there is air in the glass (small bubbles) the gas may expand more than the glass. The pressure inside the gas bubbles could conceivably cause cracks. I always thought it was just the uneven heating of the glass that caused certain parts to expand more rapidly than cooler parts, causing differential forces over the glass surface.

AM

Yes, air plays a crucial role in this scenario. When you pour a hot liquid into a crystal glass, the glass expands due to the heat. However, the air trapped inside the glass does not expand at the same rate. This creates a difference in pressure between the inside and outside of the glass, causing it to crack or shatter. This phenomenon is known as thermal shock and can also occur when a hot glass is suddenly exposed to cold air or when a cold glass is suddenly exposed to hot liquid. It is important to heat or cool glassware gradually to avoid this type of breakage.

Related to Why do crystal glasses shatter when hot liquid is poured into them?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, such as work. It studies how energy is transferred between different systems and how it affects the properties of matter.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy will be lost in the form of heat. The third law states that as temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy (or disorder) of a pure crystal will approach zero.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of energy from a higher temperature object to a lower temperature object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, temperature tells us how hot or cold something is, while heat tells us how much energy is being transferred.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in many everyday processes, such as cooking, refrigeration, and electricity generation. It also helps explain why things happen the way they do, such as why ice cubes melt in a warm room or why hot air rises.

5. What are some applications of thermodynamics in engineering?

Thermodynamics is essential in many engineering fields, including mechanical, chemical, and aerospace engineering. It is used to design and improve engines, power plants, refrigeration systems, and many other devices that involve the transfer or conversion of energy.