Why do completely inelastic collision have MAXIMUM energy loss?

In summary, when considering perfectly inelastic collisions, it is important to note that while energy is lost in the collision, it does not necessarily mean that it is the maximum amount of energy that can be lost. To prove that more energy cannot be lost, it is necessary to consider conservation of momentum and the transformation of kinetic energy into other forms such as potential energy or heat. In the idealized case of a perfectly inelastic collision, there is no potential energy storage, resulting in a net loss of mechanical energy in the system. However, when accounting for all forms of energy, the energy is conserved regardless of the type of collision.
MathewsMD
When following solutions like this link: http://physics.about.com/od/physicsmtop/g/PerfectlyInelasticCollision.htm
I understand that energy is lost, but it doesn't necessarily show that this is MAXIMUM energy loss, just that there is energy lost. How would you go about proving that more energy cannot be lost, as long as momentum is conserved (no net external force)?
I honestly feel like I'm just missing something here, so any clarification on the matter would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MathewsMD! :smile:

Suppose two objects collide head-on so that their centre of mass was stationary before the collision.

Clearly the minimum KE afterwards is zero (because zero is possible, and < zero isn't! :wink:).

Zero corresponds to the two bodies sticking together, ie a perfectly inelastic collision.

Now transform into any other frame of reference.

In addition to tiny-tim's version, You may also think of a collision as a two-phase process:

In phase 1, their relative velocity at the contact point goes to zero, the objects deforming to maximal extent (and gaining maximal potential energy, as in two springs).

In phase 2, the RESTITUTION phase, the potential energy associated with deformation is switched back into kinetic energy, to a CERTAIN DEGREE. For fully elastic collisions, ALL energy converted from kinetic in phase 1 was contained in potential energy, and thus for full restitution, energy is always conserved.

INELASTIC collisions may be thought of as the extreme case where NONE of the energy going into deformation was stored in potential energy (it dissipates as heat instead); i.e, you experience maximal energy loss.

arildno said:
INELASTIC collisions may be thought of as the extreme case where NONE of the energy going into deformation was stored in potential energy (it dissipates as heat instead); i.e, you experience maximal energy loss.

That is a bit over-simplified. Some of the energy may be stored permanently in the bodies without being converted to heat - for example, as "locked in" stresses and strains resulting from plastic deformation of the bodies.

The key point is that none of the internal energy is transferred back into KE which corresponds to rigid body motion of the objects, i.e. "you experience maximal kinetic energy loss."

Of course if you account for all forms of energy, the energy is conserved whatever type of collision occurs.

AlephZero said:
That is a bit over-simplified. Some of the energy may be stored permanently in the bodies without being converted to heat - for example, as "locked in" stresses and strains resulting from plastic deformation of the bodies.

The key point is that none of the internal energy is transferred back into KE which corresponds to rigid body motion of the objects, i.e. "you experience maximal kinetic energy loss."

Of course if you account for all forms of energy, the energy is conserved whatever type of collision occurs.
Sure it is oversimplified.
I cut out the mechanical energy loss from the generation of sound waves as well.
The point is that there is no potential energy storage in the idealized inelastic collision, thus meaning there will be a net loss of mechanical energy in the system, whatever type of other forms of energy the initial kinetic energy is converted into.

Related to Why do completely inelastic collision have MAXIMUM energy loss?

1. What is a completely inelastic collision?

A completely inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects stick together after colliding and move as one mass. This means that the kinetic energy before the collision is not conserved and is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. Why do completely inelastic collisions have maximum energy loss?

In a completely inelastic collision, the two objects stick together and move with the same velocity after the collision. This means that all of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, resulting in a maximum energy loss.

3. How is the amount of energy loss calculated in a completely inelastic collision?

The amount of energy loss in a completely inelastic collision can be calculated using the equation: Energy lost = initial kinetic energy - final kinetic energy. This takes into account the fact that the final kinetic energy is zero in a completely inelastic collision, resulting in a maximum energy loss.

4. Are there any real-life examples of completely inelastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of completely inelastic collisions, such as car crashes, where the two cars stick together after colliding and move as one mass. This results in a significant amount of energy being lost in the form of heat and sound.

5. Can completely inelastic collisions ever have a positive energy loss?

No, completely inelastic collisions will always have a maximum energy loss. This is because the two objects stick together and move with the same velocity after the collision, resulting in all of the initial kinetic energy being converted into other forms of energy.